iv. a long night

" it was instinctive, the way i fell for you

" it was instinctive, the way i fell for you. like an effortless intake of breath. "
-josh walker

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

CASS STUMBLED BACKWARDS IN shock, closing her eyes. Noah grabbed her to stop her from falling, the paper hitting the floor as it fell from his hand.

"What? What's happened?" Sirius said, reaching for the paper. He paled as he skimmed the article, his grip tightening around it.

"He- I— n-no." Cass croaked. "No, please, please tell me I'm imaging things. This can't happen, Noah I can't cope with it."

"You can, we'll get through it." Noah said. "It'll be okay."

"N-no, you don't understand." Cass shook her head, pulling out of Noah's grip. She ran her hands frantically through her hair. "You weren't there Noah, you don't get it." Her breathing was becoming ragged and the room spun slightly as she tried to think straight.

"Cass, we can help you." Sirius said.

"How?" Cass shouted. "What can you do? There's nothing that can stop him, he won't stop. He'll never stop." She seemed past the point of crying, her whole body vibrating alarmingly as she struggled to control her emotions.

"We'll protect you." Noah said. "I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you."

"You know what he did last time! You almost died Noah, I— I don't want you to protect me if that's the cost." She said.

"I don't care Cass, I'm always going to protect you." Noah said, going to take her hand. Cass jerked backwards, unable to deal with anyone's touch.

"I care." She said. "Noah, I don't think I can live without you. You can't just be willing to do anything for me."

"I am." Noah said. "Cass, please, you need to calm down."

"He's going to get you, or me, or Sirius, or somebody." Cass said. She burst into noisy sobs. "I can feel it, he's going to come and get revenge."

"We won't let him." Noah said. "Cassie, please baby, take deep breaths." Cass was hyperventilating now, gasping for air as sobs racked her whole body. She staggered sideways, and Noah caught her.

"I— I'm so so s-scared." Cass choked out. Her vision blurred slightly and she clutched onto Noah's hand. "What if he— he's gonna—"

And with that, she fainted.

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

CASS DIDN'T WAKE UP until after five o'clock. Noah had carried her through to her room, lying her on the bed. Her hands curled around the duvet, reaching for Noah. She panicked when he wasn't there, sitting up abruptly.