xii. mixed emotions

" if things go wrong, don't go with them

" if things go wrong, don't go with them. "
-roger babson

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

CASS AND NOAH HAD DECIDED to just wait and tell everyone together, with the exception of Noah's family. James, Lily, Sirius, Marlene, Dorcas and Peter were all spending Christmas at Potter Manor — generously hosted by Euphemia and Fleamont. Remus had been invited but no one had heard from him since he had gone back underground.

Cass was slightly worried for their reactions, but had decided that they deserved to know. After all, they were her family. Much more than any of her blood relatives (save Sirius, Regulus, Clarisse and Andromeda) had ever been. To be honest, Cass was more worried about how Noahs family would react. They were just going to tell them today, to get it over with. Cass could tell that Noah was nervous, he was stress cleaning — practically scrubbing the flat from top to bottom, with no magic.

Sirius had been sent to James', collected from the door this time by James himself (Lily was housebound, as being eight and a half months pregnant and travelling didn't really mix). The doorbell rang and Cass jumped violently, nearly spilling the hot water she had been pouring all down herself.

Today was the first time that any of the other Rosenthals had been to the flat, and Cass was slightly nervous about it. It wasn't the biggest, or the tidiest, and Cass knew that they would probably have to move once she had the baby, but it was her home, and she didn't want it to be belittled.

"Cassiopeia, darling!" Sophia said. "How are you?"

"I'm good thank you." Cass said. "How are you?"

"I'm excellent dear." Sophia said. "Do you need a hand with anything?"

"Oh, uh no." Cass said. "I'll bring the tea through in just a minute."

"Okie dokie." Sophia beamed. Cass finished sorting the tea tray, arranging the biscuits on a plate. Then, she took a deep breath, picked up the tray with both hands and went through to the living room.

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

AFTER WHAT FELT LIKE HOURS of small talk, and talk about politics, and jobs, and all sorts, Noah nudged Cass gently, giving her a questioning glance. Cass gave a small nod, fumbling about for his hand.

"Mum, Dad, theres something we need to tell you." Noah said seriously. "And you too Will, Helena."

"What is it sweetheart?" Sophia said. She froze, realising what she had just said. Cass went rigid, falling deep into a memory.

Avery was advancing towards her, ignoring her cries of pain as he intensified the curse. Cass had given up trying to be brave at that point, not even trying to hide how much he was hurting her, how much he was winning, she had practically given up. Avery bent down beside her, running his hands over her body, undoing the hooks of her dress.
"Isn't that better sweetheart?"