i. nine months

" first you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you

" first you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you. "
- f. scott fitzgerald, the great gatsby

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

TIME IS A CURIOUS THING...

It goes so fast sometimes that you can blink and a year has passed, and then other times it crawls by slower than seems possible. That was what happened in the summer of 1978.

Cassiopeia Black had spent the whole summer chasing a dream, a dream that she wouldn't be bothered by her psycho ex-boyfriend ever again. Some dreams just can't come true.

Nine months was not a long time, when you think about it — 3/4 of a year, the tiniest proportion of your life, the amount of time it takes to grow a baby inside of you...

Overall, a short period of time, that you usually forget about the majority of by the time the next nine months end. You may think it strange that Cass was measuring her happiness in a nine-month-period, but that was exactly how long Cassius Avery (the third), aka the most horrific man to ever step foot on this earth (with the exception of Lord Voldemort, she supposed, and perhaps Adolf Hitler — is you were to ask a muggle) was spending in Azkaban.

Nine months, in exchange for three brutal years of terror and torture, and in exchange for a coldblooded murder — or a tragic accident, as the daily prophet would say. To say that Cass was nervous for the inevitable release of Avery was an understatement, and a pretty huge one at that. She was, without a doubt, shitting herself.

The past nine months had quite probably been the best nine months of Cass' entire life. She had graduated Hogwarts (a rather bittersweet event, but still good), gotten engaged to the love of her life, aka Noah Rosenthal, spent countless carefree hours with the best friends that anyone could ask for, and drank  enough booze to give a giant alcohol poisoning.

There had been lows, so many lows, golly, Hope Lupin passing away, her constant panic attacks and nightmares, Regulus... well, you get the idea, but 1978 was certainly treating Cass a lot better than 1977 had — god, don't even get her started on that.

The other slight drawback, was that she had left Hogwarts — which in some ways, was a good thing. Don't get her wrong she likes the idea of being out in the big bad world (kind of, she'd like it more if she knew what she wanted to do with her life... anyways) but she does not like being away from the protection of Albus Dumbledore, aka the only one that Voldemort ever feared.

Even though she wasn't the headmasters biggest fan, not by a fucking long shot in fact, she knew that with him there, Hogwarts was practically untouchable. With the killings and disapearances increasing by the day, Hogwarts seemed a lot safer than the flat that she and Sirius shared.