vii. the secret of the fawley's

" and above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places

" and above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. those who don't believe in magic will never find it. "
roald dahl

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

GRACE FAWLEY HAD A SECRET, quite a few secrets in fact. The secrets had been piling up since the day she was born, strictly following the rules of her family by keeping them to herself. She had always been a reserved person, certainly not an oversharer but also most definitely not someone you knew nothing about. She shared what needed to be shared and kept what didn't to herself. She, as the saying goes, held her cards close to her chest. It was one thing that her parents had raised her to do.

"Don't share anything that doesn't need to be shared, it'll come back to bite you!"

Words of warning from her mother, mixed with lectures from her father, had shaped her into the person she was today. Whether or not she liked that person, was a fact she had yet to decide. Sure, it was nice not to have people snooping on her life all of the time — if you just don't tell, people tend just to not ask, but maybe sometimes it would be nice not to bottle everything up.

Bottling everything up did not end well, Grace knew this. She had known this ever since second year when she had been pushed just a little too far by Severus Snape and she had exploded. Quite literally,  exploded in a burst of magic and he, along with whoever else had been ganging up on her twelve year old self, had been blasted backwards, their eyes widened in shock.

And then, Noah had found her, crying in the corner of Ravenclaw common room, and he had comforted her and assured her everything was fine, she wasn't going to get expelled and that they wouldn't judge her too harshly for being unable to control her magic, and he had told her that he would listen, he could be her confidant, her consigliere of sorts. Grace had been hesitant, after all, she would be breaking rule number one of the Fawley family — don't share anything that doesn't need to be shared!

But Noah had coaxed her gently, swearing on his mothers life that, under no circumstances, would he utter a word of what was spoken between him, he had even offered to make an unbreakable vow, which was a rather bold gesture for a thirteen year old to make.

So Grace exploded again, secrets spilling out of her mouth faster than Noah could even comprehend. He had been true to his word and had never revealed anything about Grace that she hadn't revealed herself. Noah knew more about her than anyone else, yet there were still things that he didn't know.

Like the fact that she might have been, and is possibly still, in love with Regulus Arcturus Black.

Their relationship had been filled with fire, with passion, with thrill. They had snuck around together for over a year, and it was hard not to grow attached to someone. Grace missed Regulus, a lot more than she thought she would have. When he had broken up with her, claiming it was for the best, they were going to be hundreds of miles apart, Regulus at Hogwarts and Grace in London, it had hurt a lot more than she had anticipated.