Chapter 33: Gala Night

"Jess, are you coming or not?" Michelle yelled from the living room. Tonight was the final night of the Hendrick charity week and it was ending with a big dance gala with prominent people from around Charlotte as well as people from the NASCAR community and some lucky fans who had bid and won their chance to attend. Jess looked in the mirror at the fitted burgundy dress she had decided on. Luckily, her baby bump wasn't that noticeable yet and the dress hugged her in all the right places. She walked out into the living room to where Michelle sat on the couch, scrolling through her phone.

"How do I look?" Jess asked.

"Honest answer? Michelle asked.

"Well yeah."

"If Chase hadn't already gotten you pregnant, I'm pretty sure him seeing you in the dress would have done the trick."

Jess shook her head as she grabbed her clutch off the counter as they made their way to the gala.

"You clean up nice," Alex Bowman said to Chase as they stood off to the side at the gala. People had begun to arrive and Chase was deep in conversations with his teammates, not noticing when she arrived.

"Holy shit. Who is that girl who just walked into the room?" Alex said, interrupting their conversation. Chase turned around to see Jess walk in. Her dirty blonde hair was curled and the burgundy dress she wore, clung to her body like a glove. If he had his way, Chase wished that dress would be bunched up on his floor tonight.

"That's Jess," Chase finally answered.

"Wait, the girl you used to date?" William piped in.

"One in the same. We're friends now, but she's covering the gala for her article."

"Well then you won't mind if I talk to her then," Alex said.

"Yeah I wouldn't do that if I were you," Ryan Blaney added, jumping into the conversation as Chase excused himself to get to Jess.

"I'm going to get a drink, do you want anything?" Michelle asked.

"Just water." Michelle walked off in the direction of the bar as Jess scanned the room for where Chase might be.

"You are stunning," the southern drawl echoed in her ear. She turned around and saw he was standing right behind her.

"Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself."

"Where are you and Michelle sitting?" he asked. Jess pulled out her phone and pulled up her email.

"Looks to be table 12."

"I'm at table 3, but we'll be close." Michelle walked up to them as she handed Jess her water.

"Hi Michelle," Chase said.

"Hello," she answered. Chase could tell Michelle was still on defense for the shit he had pulled on Jess, but he also had a feeling she knew about Jess being pregnant as well.

"If everyone can please take their seats, we're about to start," a voice sounded overhead.

"I'll see you later," Chase said, kissing Jess's cheek. As she and Michelle walked to their table, Michelle let out a chuckle.

"What?" Jess asked.

"That boy is head over heels in love with you and the way he was looking at you goes back to what I said earlier."

"Whatever," Jess answered, as they were seated at their table.

"Good evening. Welcome to the Hendrick Charity Gala, I'm the MC this evening. We have a lineup of celebrities and the Hendrick team of drivers who will be making appearances this evening. We will close the night out with a special concert performed by Luke Combs. So to get us started, here is the man himself, Mr. Rick Hendrick."

Jess snapped a few photos as Mr. Hendrick talked about his organization as well as all the charities tied to it. As the night went on, other Hendrick drivers, Panthers football players and some other celebrities took the stage. As they were about to close the show, they brought up the Make A Wish kids from Daytona. All of them in their suits and dresses smiling proudly to be up on stage with their favorite NASCAR drivers. This is the part of her job Jess lived for. The room stood in applause as Mr. Hendrick and the fellow Hendrick driver's not only gave the kids some memorabilia, but donated a check to the foundation from their foundation.

"We hope everyone has had a good night. Now for our musical guest of the evening, Mr. Luke Combs." Guitars began to play as Luke went into his first song. People began getting up from their tables and heading over to where the stage was to listen and some began to dance.

Michelle had gotten up and went to get another drink as Jess scrolled her phone listening to the music. Luke introduced his new song Forever After All as everyone cheered.

"Can I have this dance?" Chase asked, his hand outreached.

"Sure." Jess took his hand as he led her to the dance floor. He wrapped his arms around her waist as the music played. His brown eyes were taking in the woman in his arms as the lyrics flowed around them.

"I love you Jess." She wasn't sure if he was caught up in the song or if those words had really come from his mouth. Her head raised as she met his stare.

"What?" she questioned.

"I love you. I never stopped."

"Chase...," she trailed off. He wanted to kiss her, but he had to be professional in this setting.

"Let me take you home."

"Please."