Chapter 12: A Winner's Phone Call

hase got home later that night. As he threw his stuff down, he laid in his bed and scrolled through all the congratulations texts from everyone and saw Jess had sent him one. He really wished she had been there today. He typed a reply back to her.

Thanks Jess! Really wish you had been there today.

He saw the three bubbles pop up that she was typing back.

Great job today! I wish I could have been there too. Maybe next time 😃

Instead of texting her to ask her to come with him to the race in a couple weeks, Chase hit FACETIME.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," she answered, a huge smile on her face.

"So how about instead of texting me while I'm at the race, you come with me in a couple weeks instead? I'd really like you to come."

He watched the look on her face change like she was thinking about it.

"You win. I'll come this weekend," she finally said.

Relief washed over Chase and he really hoped it didn't come across his face like that. He could just stare at her and not even say a word and that was something that made him nervous.

"I miss you," she said.

"I miss you too Jess, more than you know."

"Probably not. My friend Michelle was over today and we were watching the race and I finally told her about us. She was shocked and upset in a joking way that I didn't tell her sooner. To be honest she thinks I'm in deeper than I lead on."

"Well are you?" Chase asked bluntly.

"What? In deep with you?"

"Yes."

She looked at the screen for a moment, in silence, trying to find the right words to follow up her comment.

"I think I am. I think I've been holding off going to the races with you because that means we're really a thing and I have strong feelings for you, which scares the shit out of me.

"Don't be scared Jess. You're not alone in how you feel," he started. "I've told everyone about you and shit Jess, you've made me happier in the short time we've been together than I've been in awhile."

"Same here Chase. I guess I was just scared to admit it."

They looked at each other for a moment with no words said.

"Well this weekend is an off weekend, so how about we go somewhere," he said.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Like how about I fly us to the beach for the weekend. Spend some time together outside the race track and actually in the same city for more than a day or two."

A huge smile crossed Jess's face. "Sounds like a plan."

"Then I'll pick you up on Friday if that works for you."

"See you then."

"Bye beautiful," Chase said.

"Bye Chase," she answered, blowing a kiss.

When both of them hung up the phone with each other, they knew that they were falling for each other and it was faster than a lap at Bristol Motor Speedway.