Chapter 11: Confessions and Winning

Chase was headed to Michigan that weekend for the race. As he drove to the airport, he wished Jess would be coming with him, but she was working. He got to the airport and flew his helicopter up to Charlotte so he could fly up with Alex and William.

"What's up man?" Alex asked, sitting opposite of Chase.

"Nothing man. Hoping we can put together a good finish this weekend. The past few weeks haven't been that great."

"I hear ya man," William said, joining them.

"So what happened with what's her name?" William asked Alex.

"Oh you mean Emily? She was fucking psycho man. She was controlling and wanted to pretty much be a driver's wife. I wasn't dealing with that."

Chase looked down at his phone where his lock screen was a picture of him and Jess when he visited her last.

"What about you Chase? You and Kaylie still a thing?" Alex asked.

"Actually no. I finally ended it for good, but I've been dating someone new and it's pretty great."

Chase watched William and Alex look at each other dumbfounded. Sure he and Kaylie had been on again/off again for a long time, but it should come to no surprise he wanted to see someone else. Kaylie fell into the similar category of how Alex's ex was.

"Well good for you man," William added.

Jess sat on her couch Sunday with her friend Michelle as they watched the race. She hadn't told Michelle about her dating Chase yet, wanting to find out if it was going somewhere first.

"Why are we watching the NASCAR race?" Michelle asked, an annoyed tone in her voice.

"Because I want to," Jess answered.

"You've never been a NASCAR fan before until you had to go to the race back in May. What gives?"

Jess took a long sip of her drink. "Ok remember the reason I had to go to the race?"

"Yeah," Michelle answered.

"Well I interviewed Chase Elliott and he found out that I had never been to a NASCAR race and invited me to come back and watch. I did and well..."

"OMG, you hooked up with Chase Elliott?!?" Michelle squealed.

"Keep it down, but yes. We've been quietly dating for about a month now."

"Why did you wait to tell me?" she asked.

"I was really not sure if I wanted to pursue another relationship and it was with a NASCAR driver which means there's probably a million girls he could have. I was being smart."

"You fucking sneak," Michelle said with a smile.

Jess gave her a shrug and took another sip of her drink.

"And Chase Elliott takes the lead!" the announcer shouted on the TV. Jess turned toward the TV as she could see Michelle giving her a look out of the corner of her eye. There were 10 laps to go and Jess was on the edge of her seat. Nothing ever made her this way, even when she would watch Panthers games with Michelle.

"Come on Chase," Jess muttered under her breath.

"Chase Elliott has 1 lap until he sees the checkered flag. Can he hold off Ryan Blaney?"

Jess covered her eyes. "I can't watch," she said.

"He won!" Michelle screamed, about spilling her drink.

Jess uncovered her eyes and saw Chase doing burnouts on the infield grass. A huge smile crossed her face as she picked up her phone to text Chase.

"Someone is in love," Michelle mocked.

"Shut it," she said, typing out a text to Chase.

Congrats Chase!! Awesome win today.

"What did you say to him?" Michelle asked. Jess handed her phone over to her.

"I didn't know what else to say. I feel like I already sound lame."

"Girl, I think you're in deeper than you want to lead on," Michelle said with a smirk.

"I'm terminating this conversation," Jess replied, throwing a pillow.