Chapter 18: Bring Me Down

Jess sat in bed fucking devastated. Sure she had a feeling going into this, this might happen, but he made her feel like it wouldn't. She had fallen hard for him and she had even said she loved him too and those were words that she didn't throw out lightly. Her phone dinged and she saw it was just a notification from Facebook and it wasn't Chase. She picked her phone up to call Michelle, but stopped. It was late and she didn't really want to have to go back over the events that had transpired over the evening. Her head hit the pillow as Jess turned up The Office on TV and tried to get some sleep.

Chase woke up the next morning still not sure if last night had been a nightmare or if it was real. When he looked over at his phone, he saw his background photo of him and Jess in Florida and realized it was real. He had a few texts from Whitley begging for a second chance and a few from other people, but he just wasn't in the mood to talk. He gathered his things and left before Blaney and Allie got up and made his way to the airport to fly back to Georgia.

He got back home and just needed some space from people for a bit. Sure he was going to have to fly out for the race this weekend, but he didn't want to talk about what happened or even about Jess. She had been the breath of fresh air who walked into his life when he least expected it and BOOM, he was in love.

"Fuck," he yelled and threw his phone ont he couch. He was going to take Allie and Ryan's advice and give her the space she needed. He just hoped his outcome was going to end up like theirs.

Jess got to work the next morning exhausted and already over it. She had pulled herself together and looked like the happy go lucky Jess everyone knew. Sure she was hurting, but after her ex, she had sworn she'd never let a man bring her down and Chase wasn't going to be any exception to her rule.

"You ok?" Michelle asked, walking up to her desk.

"Yeah fine."

"Jess, I'm your best friend. I know when you're lying and faking it and girl you're clearly faking it today."

"Is it that obvious?" Jess asked.

"Too me, yes. To everyone else, probably not. Want to talk about it?"

"Do I ever want to talk about it?"

"Ok drinks after work it is," Michelle answered, walking back to her desk.

Don't let him bring you down Jess. Afterall, you're holding the cards.