Chapter 26: Surpirise?

8 Weeks Later

Jess sat in her office feeling off for some reason. When she had gotten back from Daytona, her boss had been pleased with the information she had gotten as well as the pictures with it. All she hoped was she wasn't going to have to go back to the track and follow anymore of the Hendrick guys around. She had confided in Michelle about what had happened after Chase had won and that she told him it was a huge mistake for it to even happen. Way to go Jess. She guessed she had done a number on the guy, since he had not so much as called or texted her.

"Jess, Carrie wants to see us," Michelle said, appearing in Jess's doorway.

"What for?" Jess questioned.

"Not sure, but come on." Jess grabbed her notepad and phone and followed Michelle into Carrie's office.

"Ladies, please take a seat. I am so pleased with the work you two have been doing and the charity articles we've tied in this year. We got a call today from Hendrick Motorsports and they have a charity event coming up for their Charlotte race and would like us to attend and you two to write a story and attend some of the events through the week. How does that sound?"

Michelle looked over to where Jess sat, white as a sheet.

"Are you ok Jess?" Carrie asked. Jess had pretty much checked out at that point and accused herself to use the restroom.

"Is she ok Michelle?"

"I think so. Maybe she is just having an off day. I'll be right back," Michelle said, also excusing herself and following Jess to the bathroom.

As Michelle entered the bathroom, she heard someone getting sick. "Jess, are you ok?" she asked. Jess lifted her head out of the toilet and straightened herself out before she walked out of the stall.

"Dude, I don't want to do this," Jess said, washing her hands as Michelle stood by her.

"I mean you're really good at being professional Jess and I'll be there to back you up and get you out of anything that may happen."

"It's not just that Michelle..."Jess started.

"Then what the hell is it then?" Jess looked around to make sure no one was around.

"It's because I'm pregnant and it's Chase's."