Chapter 12

I didn't let the day end without cornering Myra. She came home from work and entered her room without saying a word to anybody. A few seconds later I was knocking on her door.

Myra sighed, but didn't say anything.

"If you don't open the door, then I'm going to invite myself in," I told her.

Normally I wouldn't put myself in the middle of other people's problems, but I was becoming a little more bold. I didn't know if it was the training or the fact that I was finally interacting with people that were like me. We were all different in our own way but we shared a connection that not many people have.

A few tense seconds passed before the door unlocked and opened. I entered cautiously, unsure of how Myra's temperament was or if I needed to run in case it was bad. Myra slowly trudged back to her bed and plopped down with a sigh. She has never been down like this. It had me concerned.

"What happened out there earlier Myra? Jason won't tell me and I am beyond confused," I said gently.

"It's not that important. You should be worried about your own power and training. Not me," she replied, sounding exactly like Jason did earlier.

"You and Jason are my only friends. In all honesty, I consider you guys my family. You're the only two people in the world that care about me. I can't not worry about you. There has been tension between the two of you, and if my intuition serves me correctly it's been there since long before I came around. You can try to play it off, but you won't fool me. I'm not leaving this room until you tell me exactly what is going on," I replied.

Myra rolled over onto her back and gave me a long hard look before sitting up and crossing her legs. She motioned for me to come over and patted the space in front of her. I promptly complied.

"Things between Jason and I will most likely always be complicated, but I can tell you what happened earlier. You know how our powers are tied with our emotions?" she said. I nodded in response.

"Well, I would say that quality combined with the natural volatility of my power sometimes results in the slip of my control. My power absorbs and distributes energy both from me and my surroundings. It literally thrives on draining the life force from others. Sometimes the pull is too strong for me to control. You have no idea how much energy I harbor, Daisy Lynn. No idea at all.

"When I get too excited that energy begs to be released. That's what you see when my eyes flash. When any emotion becomes too strong, my control slips. With Jason's help I've been able to minimize it, but as you can see sometimes it still happens. My power almost has a mind of its own. It's like every source of energy I've ever absorbed comes forth and fogs my own consciousness. And the scary part about it all is that it doesn't bother me like it should. I should feel like a horrible person for giving in and even having this kind of thirst, but I don't. In fact, sometimes I thrive on it. And I've always been like that. I've always been a fighter and I've always had a strong sense of bloodlust as a result.

"Despite that, I truly am sorry that I attacked you earlier. You and Jason are my only family too. I don't have anybody to go back to either. My family would never take me back after the way I left them. And the same goes with Jason. Sometimes he's a complete ass, but he really does care about the both of us."

I felt my eyes prick at Myra's words. It was truly moving to hear her open up about her power and how she feels. I moved to wrap my arms around her. It didn't matter to me that she was dangerous - probably far more than even she knows. What mattered was that she knew that I was there for her.

Myra hugged me back and although she was small her grip is tight. A thought came to my mind as we released each other.

"The first time you and Jason fought...you know back when we were about to start phase two of training and you demonstrated how the fighting would go?" I began and she nodded in response.