Chapter 33

Everyday for the next few weeks I would wake up and keep guard with Dziko. There wasn't a crime everyday, as people knew that she was watching and quickly learned that she was no longer alone, but whenever there was one we were quick to rectify it. On the days where there wasn't much to do, we would practice with our powers. It was definitely bringing us closer together.

Hunter usually stayed back and made acquaintances with the village people. In the evening I would help Ayana with whatever crops she helped cultivate and cook dinner with her. We were falling into a nice routine. I was even slowly beginning to pick up on their languages. Although I missed Jason and Myra, and thought of them as family, living with Ayana and Dziko was much more close knit. I couldn't tell if it was because of their culture or our powers that drew us together.

I wished that we could have stayed in Africa, but I knew that we would eventually have to move to find our last person. I quickly learned this would be sooner rather than later.

Dziko and I had just returned from a long day in the heat when Hunter met us outside of the small house.

"We've got trouble," he said.

My heart instantly dropped to my stomach. He grabbed my hand and led me into the house, and Dziko followed closely. Ayana was sitting on a chair in the front room as she looked intently at the radio in her lap. The person was speaking french so I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I knew it was something bad because Ayana looked very tense and Dziko's hands balled up into fists. It had been a while since either sister had acted with any hostility.

I looked at Hunter confused and worried.

"I can't understand what he's saying," I said. Even he looked distressed.

"They're describing you on that radio Daisy Lynn. To a T," he said.

Hunter let go of my hand as he dug into his pocket and pulled out his phone. I'd brought mine with me on our journey on the just in case, but I was beginning to wonder if it was such a good idea. Hunter typed and scrolled for a few moments, before he showed me the screen on his phone.

I saw a girl handcuffed to a treadmill as she sprinted at high speed. Sweat dripped down her face, and even though it looked as though she should be tired it was clear she could keep going.

I knew that the only reason she kept going was just to survive. She would have died otherwise. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek as I watched the snippets of the videos that Dr. Decimato had recorded while I'd been captured.

They showed videos of me fighting against the injections Dr. Decimato gave me. I looked like a savage beast from the beatings I endured, but I was sure anyone who didn't know the story would assume that I had been beaten. From the way I fought against the restraints on me they would assume that I had done it to myself in the midst of it.

The video even showed the time when I had broken through with my power and used it to fight back against Pa and Dr. Decimato, but again I looked far from sane. I didn't look like a girl that was trying to free herself from two evil men. I looked like a monster trying to kill the men that were holding me back. I looked deranged.

I looked exactly like what I tried so hard not to be.

Something inside of me broke at the thought, and the tears fell down full force. Hunter wrapped his arms around me and we rocked back and forth as I buried my head in his chest. I hadn't even noticed that Ayana and Dziko had come over to watch the video, until I felt two sets of arms circle around me and they spoke softly and soothingly to me.

I never wanted to have to relive what I'd been through, but it was clear that I hadn't completely escaped it. After a few moments, I was able to pull myself together. Everyone gave me a little space.