Chapter 21

After homecoming school seemed to fly by. There were only a few weeks left before finals. I was so close to graduating. As each day passed my excitement grew. Everyone seemed to notice.

The few friends I had made at school seemed very sad that I wouldn't be staying for the entire year. I wasn't the only senior graduating at semester. I'd be back to walk at the actual ceremony. Plus I even made sure to exchange numbers with everyone. Just because they were human didn't mean they were bad people. A text or a call every now and then wouldn't hurt.

With each day I had a sinking feeling that grew despite my excitement. I didn't know why. Everything was going fine for the most part. Maybe that's why I felt like everything was so off - everything was too good. In all my days I'd never had one of just peace. Although I wouldn't call my final weeks of high school peaceful, they were as close as I'd ever come.

Eventually the day finally came when finals were over and I was going to fill out some paperwork for my diploma. I wouldn't get it today since the company the school used for our caps and gowns hadn't made them yet for the kids graduating at semester, but I'd get it in a few days. Since I was graduating at semester I had finals a little bit earlier than everyone else. Myra dropped me off on her way to work and Jason would be here to pick me up when I was finished. He told me to text me when I was finished.

I ran into Michael on my way to the principle's office.

"Hey! I wasn't expecting to see you today," he said smiling at me.

"I'm here to fill out some final paper work for my diploma," I said returning his smile for once.

"How does it feel to be a high school graduate?" he asked.

"It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I'm so happy it's all done and over with," I said.

"I'm happy for you too. You've made my senior year great so far. I'm really going to miss you," he said.

"I'm going to miss you too," I said. And I was. Michael could be irritating, but he was a good person. Despite his irksome ways there was truly something charming about him. I could see why he was so successful with journalism.

Michael pulled me into a hug. It was a little awkward since I wasn't expecting it, but eventually I relaxed into him. I was sure plenty of girls thought it was weird that the only friends I had were guys, but it didn't matter. A friend was a friend, gender didn't matter.

We pulled away after a few moments before Michael threw me a light smile and started heading towards his class. I turned and walked toward the principal's office. 

It didn't take me nearly as long as I thought to fill out the paperwork. It was just basic things like my address and phone number so that they could contact me regarding my diploma if there were any delays. I'd told Jason it'd probably be an hour, so I didn't rush in sending my text to him. I could say a few goodbyes first and then text him. The first person on my list was Jake. I wasn't sure when we'd see each other or if we'd see each other again after this. I hoped that we would, but the world of the Unknowns is a dangerous place. Our next meeting could be far from friendly, so I wanted to leave him on a good note.