Chapter 23

Myra's POV

I can't get a read on whoever it is, Jason said.

I didn't know how to take that. Jason was powerful, but I knew it was easier for him to read Unknowns that humans. So that meant that whoever it was could be a human. Or it meant that person was a very powerful Unknown. For someone to overtake Jason's power so that he couldn't read his or her mind it meant that he or she had to be at least as powerful.

My throat went dry at the thought. There were very few Unknowns that were a nine, but if Enforcers were coming they knew how powerful he was. They'd send their strongest fighters to take us out.

I wouldn't call what I felt fear exactly. It was more like apprehension. It was hard to take someone who could read your mind and hold your body against your will, no matter how many people you sent. That didn't mean we wouldn't get badly injured even if we did win in a fight.

Knock knock knock

Jason and I looked at each other. In a situation like this nobody would be knocking on our door. They would be knocking it down.

Knock knock knock

Against my better judgment, I went over and opened the door.

I was beyond shocked to see Hunter standing on the other side.

"Hunter?" I asked confused. Why was he here? How did he even know where we lived?

His blue eyes had a faint glow as they trained on me. I felt a blast of energy from him and could feel the full force of his power envelop me. Before I could even fully comprehend what that meant I was being dragged backward. Jason moved me until I was directly behind him.

I peeked behind Jason's shoulder to get a better look at Hunter. Hunter was still looking at me. It made me feel like I was prey being stalked. I felt Jason stiffen in front of me. I wasn't sure if it was from my thoughts or from something Hunter thought.

There was a tense silence building. Hunter was an Unknown. This explained so much during my time working with him. He was very good at hiding his abilities from others, but because he was an Unknown his energy levels were always slighter higher than a human. It was just enough to make me curious at times, but not so much that I constantly questioned it.

"Why are you here?" I demanded, my voice sounded harsher than I really felt.

I was afraid now, but I wouldn't show it. Anger was always my default emotion whenever I felt fear.

"Something's happened to her," Hunter said and relief flooded through me. He was here to help, but I felt a little warry

Jason was a litte more vocal about his distrust.

"I don't know what stunt you're trying to pull, but you need to get out. You won't be of any help to us," Jason said.