Chapter 20

I wobbled in my heels as I got out of the car. Taking a deep breath I closed my eyes for a moment before moving toward the door.

"C'mon girl get moving! Don't take all night just getting to the door," Myra shouted from the passenger's seat. I didn't respond, but I took my first steps forward.

"You look great girly. Enjoy yourself. Have a great time," she said and she and Jason drove off.

Who's bright idea was this anyway?

Here I was walking toward the door in black heels and a bright red dress that was begging for everyone to look at it. My hair feel in long, loose ringlets down my back and my lips were just as vibrant as my dress. Feeling a little overwhelmed I began twiddling my thumbs as I approached the door.

I opened the door and expected hoards of people to come raining down, but no such thing happened. The dance was just getting started and there were people everywhere. Some were getting refreshments, others chatting at their tables, and some out on the floor.

I grabbed a cup of punch before finding a table and making myself right at home. I felt so out of place. There were people out on the floor dancing, but I'd never been to one of these things. I ended up tracing my finger around the rim of the plastic cup.

"Don't look so excited," someone said. I looked up to see Jake smiling at me.

"Hi Jake," I said.

"I'm glad to see that you came," he said taking a seat next to me.

"Thanks. It's nice to see a familiar face," I responded.

"Have you been here long?" he asked.

"No, I just got here. Michael is supposed to be my date. He should be here soon," I said. Jake nodded.

"I'm sure it will be interesting to watch his reaction later on tonight," he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked frowning.

"You'll see," he said as he looked over his shoulder.

"It looks like your date is here," he said. I looked at the doorway and saw Michael. I waved at him and he started making his way over.

"You look very beautiful tonight if I do say so myself. Don't let these two idiots ruin your night. Martin's my friend but he's been to tons of dances. If they're bothering let me know and I'll handle it," he said as he got up.

"Thanks Jake," I said. I was glad that he was an Unknown. I could tell that once we finished school and if life permitted we'd be good friends.

Jake nodded at Michael as they passed each other.

"Hey," he said smiling widely at me.

"Hi," I said.

"This is for you," he said, handing me a red corsage.

"Thanks Michael. I wish I would've known. I would have gotten you a flower thing too."

"A boutonniere. And it's okay. I wanted it to be a surprise," he said. I smiled in response.

"Have you been out on the floor yet?" he asked. I shook my head.

He gave me his hand.

"They just started playing the Cha-Cha slide. Everybody can do that one," he said and I grabbed his hand, letting him lead me out to the floor.

It didn't take me long to realize that trying to dance for extended periods of time with heels on was very painful. I followed suit after the other girls and put my shoes on the edge of the dance floor. When I returned back the Michael the music had changed drastically. Half the girls were bent over with a guy behind them and they were practically dry humping.