Chapter 26

Daisy Lynn's POV

I was lying on my side, memorizing the cracks in the wall, when the door creaked open. Foot steps approached. I tried not to flinch when a cold hand grasped my shoulder, but I couldn't stop myself.

Dr. Decimato rolled me over and forced me to look at him. He was holding a plate of food.

"You will need this. Today is a big day. For the both of us," he said.

I sat up and took the plate of food from his hands. There were scrambled egg, a piece of toast, an apple and a fork. It was much more than I'd been receiving. I almost thanked him.

But then I remembered everything he'd put me through.

When I looked at Dr. Decimato, he was pulling a syringe out of his pocket. I watched his every move as he poked me with it and pulled blood from my arm. Then he injected me with the same injection he always did.

Dr. Decimato crouched down to look me in the eye.

"There is something different about you today. I suppose you have accepted your fate," he said as he patted my cheek.

I was banking on the fact that the Supreme said I could possibly make it out alive. As the burning sensation traveled through my body, I wasn't quite sure how, but there definitely was something different.

He stood up and left the room. I didn't know how much time I had left. I picked up the fork and laid back down, leaving the food untouched.

When Pa came to kill me, I wouldn't go without a fight. I was scared out of my mind, but I wouldn't stop trying.

***

A few hours later, Pa and Dr. Decimato came walking through the door.

"It is complete," I heard Dr. Decimato say.

"Bring her with us," he told Pa.

I sat up before he could grab me.

"I'm not going to run away. It's useless at this point. I'll follow you to wherever you'll take me," I said.

They both exchanged a glance. Pa's facial expression told me he could smell bullshit, but Decimato's said otherwise.

"Very well then. Come along," he said.

I slipped the fork into my underwear as I moved to get out of bed. Pa trailed behind me as I went into the room that they had designated for whatever was in their plan today. 

Decimato pointed to a chair in the middle of the room.