Chapter 5

Photo: Hunter

Myra and I followed Jason into the house. We caught the end of the commercial before their "Breaking News" segment starter.

A woman dressed in a pant suit showed up on the screen microphone in hand, standing in front of the bar.

"Earlier tonight surprising events took place at this bar here off of 8th street and Waterberry. A brawl broke out between patrons and few employees, leaving several in critical condition."

The screen flashed to a grumpy looking old man named Robert Smith. He was the owner.

"Tell us Mr. Smith: what happened tonight?"

"I'll tell ya what happened. I've got bodies on the floor that I don't know if they're dead or alive, vomit in the toilet and police raiding my property like they own the place. I hope they catch these motherfuckers that trashed my bar! I'm gonna-"

The screen turned black. They were a little late in censoring his words, but I'm sure he said a lot more. After a few moments the reporter returned.

"I apologize for the profanity. Mr. Smith is going through an emotional time and it's too soon for him to speak calmly about the matter. Fortunately we have an employee that would like to speak on Mr. Smith's behalf."

I instantly recognized Hunter's bright blue eyes. His brown, sun streaked hair ruffled a little bit in the wind and he opened his mouth to speak.

"I'm not exactly sure why things went down the way they did. One minute I was serving drinks at the bar and the next there was the guy the burst through the doors acting like he owned the place. I guess his daughter decided to head out without telling him because they'd had an argument. He looked ready to kill somebody and he was - the man brought a double barrel shot gun into a bar...you know where the customers are all usually intoxicated. He found her in the bathroom with the help of some of our good hearted patrons. Next thing I knew all he-- uh chaos broke loose," the disgust in his voice was thick and tangible, but that quickly changed when he softly said, "I hope she's okay."

"Thanks Hunter. Back to you Chris."

A male newscaster showed up on the screen siting behind a desk.

"Thanks Donna. Police have released the only security footage of the brawl that took place."

The screen became a black and white blur. I could make out bodies dropping left and right. A figure was moving across the screen, but if I hadn't known it was Myra or the she had a power I would have thought I was just some person knocking everybody's lights out. After a little while I watched a figure with light hair slide across the bar counter and Pa sauntered over with his rifle. As he rose it and aimed the camera shook violently and fell to the ground. Blackness filled the screen.

"We'll have more coverage as more information comes in. Until then here's your seven day weather forecast," Chris said.

Jason turned off the tv. He glanced at me before glaring at Myra.

"You know better," he said.

"I had to help her, otherwise she'd be dead right now, Jason. Don't start with your exposure bullshit. Daisy Lynn needed help and I was there for her. If you're gonna do this right now, I'm going to bed,"

"You aren't going anywhere. If those humans find out about us-"

"I know, I know, I know," she said impatiently.

I didn't know.

Jason's eyes flickered to me.

"You're not exactly human anymore, Daisy Lynn. Although Myra would love to hold onto her humanity, her humanity doesn't want to hold onto her."