Chapter 24

Myra's POV

It took us several days, five to be exact, but we eventually found Daisy Lynn's old house. People get suspicious when you start asking a lot of questions. Especially about where people live. Fortunately, we had Hunter. It had been months since Daisy Lynn had been home, but he could get a faint trail on her. The closer we got the less questions we asked and the more we followed Hunter.

When we found the house, it didn't look deserted as I'd expected. Maybe Daisy Lynn's father was going back and forth between where they were holding her. Then it hit me that it'd only been about a week and a half, maybe two. That wasn't enough time for it to look barren. 

My shoulder slumped slightly at the thought. If he was commuting back and forth that would mean we could catch him. But now we had to rely solely on what Hunter could pick up from the house. Considering the fact that he could still trace Daisy Lynn after several months (which was completely insane), I wasn't too worried. I just hoped that her father would be wherever she was at when we finally tracked him down. 

He didn't exactly strike me as the type of person that would submit to interrogation. No, he would fight it to the death. The man wasn't a coward in that sense, but he was certainly a coward in the way he treated his daughter. If we found him before we found her I would make sure he died. He wouldn't make it out of that fight alive. If he did, it would be over my dead body.

I was about to break down the front door when Jason used his abilities to unlock the door and opened it. I gave a shrug and stepped in to get out of the way. This was Hunter's part of our mission. There wasn't much else I could do.

We followed Hunter through the house. He went through every room. Opened every drawer. He'd take something random like a pen and hold it up to his nose or stare at it for a few minutes. Then he'd drop it like it was on fire and zoom over to something else. His speed wasn't something that I expected. I guessed that he was more than a tracker. He was truly a hunter, a predator. He probably had the strength and reflexes as well.

The thought incited the bloodlust that I always tried to force back. I loved to fight. It was like a pastime for me. Before I became an Unknown I picked a fight just for the hell of it. The older I got, the bolder I was. I'd find opponents that I knew I would struggle with. I went from fighting girls, to boys, to occasionally full grown men. I loved it.

Knowing that Hunter was a powerful Unknown wasn't exactly what made me want to fight him. It was the fact that he was a predator designed to kill. I knew it was counterproductive, but a small part of me didn't care. That small part of me wanted to challenge him as if he were my enemy, when in reality he was my ally.

I wouldn't even entertain that thought if I were you, Jason's voice rang in my mind. I rolled my eyes and ignored his words. I wasn't going to fight Hunter. At least not today.

Not ever. You don't know what you're getting into with him. Jason continued.

I shrugged. I'd do what I wanted and Jason knew it. Still, despite my facade of nonchalance, part of me worried about his words. Was Hunter really as dangerous as Jason implied he was?