Chapter 27

Daisy Lynn POV

Tears streamed down my face as I held Pa in my arms. I couldn't stop the sobs from wracking my body. My mind didn't want to accept the fact that he was gone. 

Despite everything he had done, I still loved him. I still wanted the best for him even if he didn't want the same for me. I never wanted him to die. I never wanted it to come to this.

I buried my face into his bloody chest.

It felt like the more I cried, the more unstable everything was. The burning sensation seemed to be fading away, but it was replaced with the feeling that the room was spinning.

A warm hand touched my shoulder and I jumped. 

"I know you're grieving, but we need to go. It's not safe here," Hunter said.

I ignored Hunter and looked down at Pa. I couldn't help but sob again. It felt like the room was spinning again. Hunter wrapped his arms around me as he pulled me away from Pa. I tried to fight him, but he was too strong. Instead he cradled me in his arms as I let out every emotion I'd ever felt for my father pour out of me.

I heard a loud crack before water began spraying my face. I sputtered in surprise.

I turned to face Hunter and noticed his hand. It was frozen.

"My powers!" I gasped. 

"You've always had your powers."

I shook my head. Before I could explain Hunter was up and dragging me along with him. I didn't want to go, but he wasn't giving me a choice. Deep down I knew if we stayed we'd both be dead.

Then it dawned on me that Hunter was here.

"Why are you-" he slapped his hand over my mouth.

"Stay behind me and don't make a sound," he said. For the first time, I noticed his eyes were glowing. I stared at him as I tried to put the pieces together.

Hunter had found me with Jason and Myra. That meant he'd sought them out - they wouldn't go find him. How could he find them? He didn't know where I lived... It felt like I was wracking my brain the more I thought about it. I remembered that time when he'd told me to close my eyes and follow my instincts and I ended up at a lake. I thought it was some trick he'd pulled, but maybe it was more.

He was protecting me as we made our way out of the room. It oddly reminded me of the time he stood in front of me in the grocery store...

"We have two female shoplifters. One was tall and blonde the other was short with dark hair. They're on the run!" the worker shouted into his walkie. He was at the other end of the aisle and stopped when he saw Hunter and me.

Hunter looked at the ice cream on the ground and then at me. He raised and eyebrow as he eyed me. I was sure there was fear written all over my face. The worker was walking toward us, but he couldn't see me clearly past Hunter's body. If I ran then I'd really be done for. I had no idea what to do. Hunter, however, was very quick on his feet.