Chapter 6

Dedicated to zizzlekwum for reading and voting for my story. Thanks! It means a lot!

The man came over, snatched me off of the couch and had me on the ground before I could even blink. I let out an involuntarily gasp from the impact.

"Is being that rough necessary?" Jason said coolly. I rolled over and tried to cough, but it sounded like a wheeze. This man had knocked the wind out of me. I clutched my chest and felt tears roll down my cheeks. Why did all the bad stuff have to happen to me?

"Now, now we're just here about the little scuffle these two ladies had," the woman said.

"The blonde one just discovered her powers yesterday. She hadn't learned of the secrecy law before the events occured. Myra here was simply trying to help her get out without injuring herself or anyone else around her," Jason replied.

"Ah, but Myra here knows better and the skills needed to get out without using her abilities in front of the humans."

"She didn't do anything obvious. Nobody knew what was happening. We wouldn't even know it was her by watching the video."

"Hmm. I suppose," the woman said. I had a feeling there was going to be more coming.

"You there. Stand up," she said.

I got up hesitantly and wiped my face.

Be strong, Daisy Lynn. They'll eat you alive if you show weakness. My head snapped to attention and I looked around. My eyes connected with Jason's. He'd spoken to me mentally. I gave a mental affirmation and straightened. I had to be something I wasn't: fearless.

I took a step away from the burly man standing next to me. He huffed in response. I thought Scouts were just supposed to get information and report it to Enforcers in case it was absolutely necessary. What they were doing wasn't fitting the job description Jason had given me.

"Come here," the woman said.

I approached her hesitantly. When I got in front of her, we looked each other dead in the eye. Jason said that Scouts were a three minimally and the Enforcers started at level 6. That meant the most she could be was a 5. It meant I might have a fighting chance if things got ugly. There were three of us and three of them. If things got ugly Jason and Myra were powerful enough and had enough experience in fighting to take them out. I just had to hold my own until one of them came to the rescue me.

She reached out and touched my face. I felt a wave of calm come over me.

"There, there, child. We're not going to hurt you, unless there's a need."

That was comforting, I thought sarcastically.

"Now, tell me what happened yesterday. Starting off when you first discovered your ability," she said.

I hestitated. Pa had always made me keep my mouth shut about hit fits. How could I tell this lady, a stranger to say the least, about my abusive past? I looked around the room and noticed the man still holding Myra. My eyes met hers. This was abuse too. It was a thinly veiled bullying session.

"I'd like for you to release my friend first," I said.

The woman looked shocked to say the least. Then appalled. Then flat out disgusted.

"You think someone of your position has the right to order me and my contemporaries around?" she snapped.

"I was just making a simple request. If you're not here to hurt us, then let her go and I will tell you what happened," I replied.

She looked me over once and then snapped her fingers. The man release Myra. Myra could have taken him. She could have taken all three of them, but she didn't. She didn't stike me as the person who always obeyed authority so that meant this was important. These people wouldn't do the damage themselves, but if they were man handling us like this then the Enforcers would certainly cause some pain.