Chapter 22

When I came to I immediately panicked. My hands were tied and it felt like there was a weight on my chest. The room was dimly lit and I could barely see. It took me a few moments to remember that I'd been kidnapped by Pa right in front of the school. Part of me wondered why nobody came to my rescue. Then I remembered that Pa was clandestine about it - to anybody watching it looked like I walked off with him willingly even though that was far from the truth.

I knew I needed to get out of here if I wanted to live. Dread ran through me at the thought. They were going to run tests on me. Somehow Pa had found someone just as sick as he was. I tugged at the ropes on my wrists as dark thoughts filled my mind. I'd just gotten to a good place. Why did something bad always have to happen?

I began working up a sweat as I tugged at the ropes. A thought immediately came to mind. I could use my own sweat to make ice and slice at the ropes. As I began to do just that the door opened.

"I see you're awake," the man from the car said.

"I never properly introduced myself to you. I'm Dr. Jeremy Decimato. You father has told me much about you and your abilities. I can't wait to work with you," he said.

I watched at he pulled a syringe from his pocket. I really didn't want to be jabbed in the neck again. That thing couldn't be sterile. He didn't even have a sheath on it. I struggled against the ropes as he came closer.

Dr. Decimato grabbed a handful of my hair, right at the base of the scalp and jerked my head to the side. Unlike Pa he didn't shove the syringe into my neck, but it still hurt. This time he took my blood instead. I winced as he let go of my hair.

He bent of to look me in the eye.

"Your father believes that you are a witch. He thinks that we should have killed you as soon as we found you. But I have something different in mind," he said as he pushed my hair out of my face. The way he looked at me made me uneasy. Maybe I was wrong. This guy could be a sex offender posing as a doctor for all I knew. I tried to pull away from him but he just yanked me back forward.

"I'm going to look at your blood. I'm going to run tests on you. I'm going to use you in every way I can think until I'm satisfied. And when I'm finished I'm going to cut you open and dissect you like the lab rat that you are," he said softly, yet menacingly.

I watched as he pulled out another syringe.

"And you're such a pretty girl. It's a shame that such beauty will go to waste," he said as he moved my hair out of the way again. There was a small pinch as the needle entered my skin. I felt drowsy all over again. I didn't want to go under.

"I can see the fight in your eyes. I am going to enjoy myself with you," he said patting my cheek before standing.

"I suggest you prepare yourself for when you awaken again. It will certainly be an intriguing endeavor."

I heard him chuckle to himself before the door shut behind him.