Chapter 4

I looked over my shoulder to see if Hunter was still there. He was gone. My new friend was moving at quite a hefty pace, and I was struggling to keep up.

"Hey can we slow down just a little bit? I'm not as active or fit as you are," I said.

She didn't respond. Maybe she was angry about me running out on her.

"I'm sorry for running out the way I did without helping you first. You helped me get out of a pickle and I practically abandoned you."

She kept moving in silence.

"I never did learn your name, you know," I said nervously.

"So you're just not going to talk to me? I understand. I'll go my own way."

I turned around back toward where we came from.

"Myra."

I stopped.

"My name is Myra. And I'm not mad at you for running out. It's clear you scare easily and have little battle experience. I do think that you might be too kind-hearted for this, but you're powerful and we'll need you. And we need to keep moving and get out of here. Normally I would not have left any survivors after a show like that, so let's get a move on," she said.

Myra, I thought. That's a nice name.

I jogged back to her and contemplated what she said. Tilting my head I said, "What do you mean by 'we'? And what exactly do 'we' need me for?"

"You'll see soon enough."

We walked for about fifteen more minutes on the road before we took a sharp turn to the right into the grassy fields. After what seemed like an eternity we reached a small simple looking house. Myra unlocked the door and I followed her in.

The house was as simple on the inside as it was on the outside. There was a couch and a few chairs with a small coffee table. The light was on the dim side. Movement out of the corner of my stopped my from taking in my surroundings any further.

"You're home early," a man said, stepping out of the shadows.

Myra shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. He walked up to her and stroked her face before twirling a piece of her hair in his hands. They looked each other in the eye intensely, making me feel intrusive. After a few moments, they separated. He looked at me.

"This is-"

"Daisy Lynn," he finished for Myra.

I gave her a look at she just gave me a small smirk before sitting down in the one of the chairs.

"I'm Jason," he said extending his hand. I took it and have him and he kissed it, looking into my eyes the entire time.

Jason was quite the looker. He had light brown eyes that had flecks of auburn in the dim light. His hair was jet black and his skin was tan. I noticed freckles on his face that were hard to see, but definitely existed.

His face was serious as he lifted up from the kiss and studied me. I shifted uncomfortably as he eyed me from head to toe. He tilted his head and his expression changed to one that appeared to be amusement.

"Come. Sit," he said.

We sat on the couch and he took my hands in his, never losing contact from my eyes. His light brown eyes search mine and after a few moments I felt a pulling sensation. A gasp escaped my lips as memories flooded my mind. At first it was just recent events. Hugging Steve. Seeing Pa at the bar. Meeting Myra. My "homemade" water slide. Pa having his fit. Discovering my power.

Then more distant memories. Painful memories that I tried my best to keep hidden from myself. Mama dying. Getting beaten day after day. Pa's incessant drinking. They were too painful. Too real. The emotional and physical pain of events that happened months and years apart hit me all in one moment. I couldn't take it. I felt myself reverting back into my childish state. Tears welled up in my eyes and began spilling over.