Chapter 16

The rest of the day went pretty smoothly. My teaching assistant class in the office was pretty brainless. Once I got all of the attendance logged from the teachers I as able to do my homework for the rest of the period. When the bell rang, I went to my locker to put my books away before heading home. Jason should be outside by now and if not he'll be here in a few minutes to pick me up.

As I put my things up, someone came over and slammed my locker open. I looked up to see it was Martin. He leaned back against my locker door and crossed his arms as he looked at me.

"Can I help you?" I asked as I put the last of my books on the shelf.

"I can think of a few things," he said with a wink.

"You're disgusting."

"That's not what the rest of the girls around here say about me."

"Well they must be blind. And it's a good thing I'm not like them. Will you please move so that I can shut my locker?" I said. I was feeling more than flustered by his presence. Why was he even over here?

"Since you asked so nicely...I'll move a little sooner than I was intending to."

"Jackass," I muttered under my breath.

"You know, you don't look like you'd use that kind of language, but this wouldn't be the first time you've surprised me today," he said.

"Is there any particular reason why you're over here?" I asked.

His gaze traveled up and down my body for a moment before he answered.

"You're the hot new girl. What other reason do I need?"

I felt like that was a cover up. He was playing with me. I knew that I wasn't hot by any stretch of the imagination.

"What's the real reason?"

"I'm being serious here. That is the real reason."

I narrowed my eyes at him. He seemed like he was being honest, but still.

"If that's the supposed real reason, are you really supposed to be agitating me?"

"Well, you're a little bit more sensitive than the average person so normally the answer would be no."

I rolled my eyes just as Jake walked up. He looked at me briefly before turning to Martin.

"Are you coming to class?" he said.

"Yeah, in a minute," Martin replied.

Jake glanced at me again before walking off.

"Martin, I really need to go."

"Yeah yeah, I know. Listen, I'm gonna have a party at my place next weekend. You should come."

Like hell that was gonna happen.

"I'll pass."

He wasn't expecting that response.

"Why not? Everyone's gonna be there."

"One: I haven't even known you for twenty-four hours and I know without a shadow of a doubt that you're a jackass. Why would I want to hang out with you? Two: I don't really trust you. And three: Who gives a flying fuck that 'everyone' is going to be there? I'm not everyone and I'm not keen on being in a place with a lot of drunk people I don't know. Now, I've already asked you to move once and I'm not going to ask you again," I shoved past him and slammed my locker door shut. Everyone in the hall way looked in our direction.

Martin's expression was priceless as I turned on my heels and stormed off. I didn't need boys or drama. I just needed to graduate and eventually start on my journey to find the other Unknowns that could control the elements.