Chapter 9

Photo: Hunter

So I changed the cast yet again. Not doing it intentionally, I just want my characters to be portrayed as accurately as possible. The only person I'm not completely satisfied with yet is Jason, but I won't do anything until I'm 100% sure. Back to the story...

I really didn't want to go back to Jason. Part of me would rather die than have him probe my brain. Part of me wanted to hit something for thinking about Pa in front of Jason of all people. And another part of me, the more prominent part that truly dictated my personality, had me sitting on the ground with my head in my hands as I cried my eyes out.

I couldn't help it. I was frustrated and sad and angry. There was no other way to let it out. I had absolutely no idea how long I had been sitting out here. All I knew is that it was freezing when I'd finally pulled myself together, which was strange. It was the middle of summer out in the country. The word 'freezing' should not even be a part of my vocabulary. When I wiped my eyes and stood up, however, I could see why it was freezing.

There was a good ten foot diameter of frost on the ground and trees surrounding me. I'd forgotten that emotions were a trigger for my powers. Letting out a huff, I made the frost go away and decided to stop wallowing for the moment. It was time to face Jason.

***

Jason was just finishing up cleaning the kitchen. I guess I hadn't been gone too long. He didn't seem to shocked by my appearance. I was sure that my eyes were poofy and red-rimmed. It was probably atrocious and repulsive.

Jason was eyeing me in a way that made my skin crawl. His face was a mixture of concern and something else that I couldn't quite put a label on. That meant that he only wanted me to recognize one of his emotions - he was an expert at hiding his own thoughts and emotions.

His lips twitched once, probably to suppress a smile, but then returned to his normal unreadable state.

"You wanna tell me what that was about or should I just force it out of you?"

That arrogant bastard. I'd completely forgotten that he could just raid my brain for my thoughts and memories. So I gave him the best reply I had.

"Fuck off," I spat.

His eyes narrow dangerously.

"Careful, Daisy Lynn."

He needed to keep his 'hands' out of my mind. There were boundaries that needed to be established.

"No, you be careful, Jason. Maybe if you at least tried not to be a part of other's private thoughts then we wouldn't be having this problem right now!"

"Or maybe you're just trying to divert attention from the real problem at hand, by projecting it onto my power. Sure, Daisy Lynn. I'm sorry for doing what's only natural for me," he spat back.

I gritted my teeth and felt my hand curling into a fist. He was missing the point.

"I'm not missing any point, Daisy Lynn. You're hiding something and you're trying to cover it up by claiming that I'm overly intrusive instead of handling the problem. I should just end this useless conversation right now," he said darkly.

I couldn't let him get into my head, but I felt my eyes watering from frustration. He was powerful, but so was I. Although it had only been about a week and a half my power was much stronger already. I took a few steps back and put my arms up in a protective position while simultaneously drawing water from various sources within the house. It mere seconds Jason was soaked, but it didn't really matter. I could feel the beginnings of that invasive tugging sensation. I needed to do more, and quickly.