Chapter 29

Our surroundings were a stark contrast to where we had been just mere seconds ago. The room we were standing in was very grandiose. Pillars led up to the where the Court members sat. It was like a throne that had been expanded to fit all of them. I counted how many there were as we got closer.

There were six of them. Six powerful Unknowns. Six people that could kill us all with the blink of an eye. When I could finally make out their faces, I could tell that with the exception of one, they were a little older. Their skin wasn't as youthful as the rest of us. Some of their eyes glowed, some didn't. Some frowned, some kept a blank face and some had a faint smile.

I gripped Hunter's hand even tighter. There was no telling how they would react.

"It appears that we have visitors today," one of them said.

"Why have you brought these individuals to us," another one interrupted, as she looked at Sakima. I flinched at her harsh tone

This Court member had a gothic look to her. She was covered in black from her head to her toes. Her hair was pitch black and even her brown eyes were a little disconcerting. Her fingernails were black too. She wore a long black robe that covered everything but her hands and face.

Sakima's reaction was the exact opposite of mine. Instead of fear, he seemed irritated.

"This one has the Mark of the Supreme. I did not find it appropriate to kill her as I was not informed she was Marked before hand.

"Step forward," she commanded as her gaze fell on me. She had a faint French accent. Her eyes flickered to Hunter, as I let go of his hand. I noticed that all of the Court members were looking at him.

He gave me a slight nudge, and I hesitantly moved forward. His facial expression softened when he looked at me, but I knew something was up. I was either missing something, or I wasn't in the know.

I walked up to where the Court members were sitting. All of their eyes fell on me.

"Come closer," one said. This was the younger looking one. He gave me a small smile of encouragement. It was much more persuasive than the sharp tone of the other member.

I stepped right up to their throne. Each of them looked me dead in the eye before murmuring among themselves.

"Tell us when you received the Mark," another one sighed. He seemed the most distance out of all of the Court members. When our eyes met, I noticed something strange about his. It looked like his eyes were clocks, with hands ticking for each second, but when I blinked it disappeared.

It felt like he already knew exactly what had happened and exactly what I was going to say. I found myself nervously twiddling my thumbs as I told them how I ended up with the Mark of The Supreme.

"How is it that you were captured?" he asked. I told them everything. How Pa showed up at the school. How I couldn't use my powers without being captured or killing him. Dr. Decimato and whatever concoction he made up. Them torturing me. I was in tears by the time I told them how I woke up to Myra and Hunter standing over me.

They spoke among themselves again. Every few seconds or so they would glance up at one of us. Their voices were hushed so I couldn't really make out what they were saying. I noticed that they seemed to peek at Hunter more than anyone else. One of them nodded at Sakima and I heard foot steps as he and the Enforcer that brought me left.

"We think that it is most appropriate for you to meet with the Supreme. It is not for us to decide in regards to you."

I didn't know what to say, but one of the Court members stood up and motioned for me to follow. I quickly complied. As we left the room, the rest turned their attention to Myra, Jason and Hunter. I didn't know what fate awaited them. I was afraid to think about it.