Chapter 19

I watched as Jason's light brown eyes flicked back and forth between mine. We were in the living room and he was leaning down in front of me as I sat on the couch. His brows furrowed together. He put a hand on my face and tilted my head back. Gently he lifted one of my eyelids as he continued to examine me. After a few moments he stood up straight and let out a huff of air.

"I don't know why this is happening. Very few people know much about the Supreme. And those who do don't disclose any of their knowledge. My best guess is that since she hasn't killed you yet is that she holds you of high value. Maybe it's a protection. Or she's marking her territory. Maybe it's both - marking you as hers will make others hesitate to hurt you. But that's just a guess," he said.

"Do you know how long my eyes will stay like this?" I asked.

Jason shook his head.

"There's no telling. Did anything bad happen at school?" he asked.

"Nothing other than the usual drama that comes with school. Today was slightly more trying," I said thinking about Sharon.

"Well my best advice is to try to stay as calm as you can. Since we don't know much about being Marked it's best to do your best to stay in control."

"I'll try," I said.

Jason sat down next to me and turned on the TV. I brought my knees up to my chest and found myself lost in my thoughts as he flipped through the channels. I had a feeling that dark times were ahead and I didn't know why. I knew that I would have to face whatever it was with bravery, but I felt like I was kidding myself. I was a scared teenage girl. I'd never been in a real fight. I'd been beaten my entire life. Compared to other Unknowns I was still weak. I knew I hadn't reached my full potential yet.

Everyone else seemed to think there was something so special about me. What was special about controlling water? What was so powerful about that? It wasn't like I could read minds or control any object like Jason. I couldn't manipulate energy in any way I wanted like Myra. I didn't have inhuman strength like Jake.

I could only control water. Water was gentle. I was gentle. Maybe that's why I would die. It wasn't volatile like fire. It couldn't disrupt life like the earth. It couldn't steal the wind from your lungs like a gust of wind. Water was peaceful, but the world I lived in wasn't.

"I'll be back later on tonight," Jason said snatching me out of my thoughts. I watched as he picked up his keys and headed out of the door.

"Okay," I said. It felt so abrupt, but I didn't feel like asking why. I just felt so drained.

After Jason left I flipped through the channels, but couldn't find anything that held my interest. I laid back on the couch and decided to take a nap. I was tired anyway.

***

My pocket buzzing dragged me out of my slumber. I pulled my phone out and saw Hunter's name on the screen. Only an hour had passed since I'd fallen asleep.

"Hey," I answered.

"You up to some horses?" he asked.

"Definitely," I said. I could use a distraction from my problems.

"Meet me at the lake in fifteen minutes," he said.

"Okay. See you there," I said.

Fifteen minutes later I was walking up to the lake and saw Hunter petting one of the horses. One of them was brown and the other was black. The hair on their bodies was sleek, but hair draped and flowed around their hooves like curtains. They were both large in stature. The brown one dug on of it's huge hoofs into the ground as Hunter scratched his face.