Chapter Fifty-seven

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

Aspen's arm continued to brush against Charles' and Stiles' as Scott led the way down the vacant hallway. It seemed they would have to miss yet another class, and seeing as Aspen's grades were not her best, she expected her grandfather would receive a phone call regarding her frequent absences.

Aspen's mind was struggling to wrap around the events that were happening so suddenly. Not only were they dealing with a murderous lizard, which she has yet to encounter herself, but Derek was once again taking advantage of his new title as Alpha.

"You're not coming, Charlie," Aspen sneered over her shoulder, catching a blurry glimpse of the blonde maverick marching beside her.

"Considering we're walking in the same general direction, looks like I am coming," Charlie stated frankly, bumping shoulders with a student in passing, and the blonde didn't bother hiding her disdain for the abrupt contact. She sneered back, and Aspen was quick to grasp her cousin's shoulder and forced her ahead by her elbow before she jumped into an avoidable fight. Aspen's doe eyes met Matt's for a brief second, and with an apologetic tilt of her head, Aspen excused her cousin's nonsense. Matt simply smiled at the brunette, and she caught the slight tint of pink flush on his cheeks.

Aspen hadn't seen the boy since the day of Isaac's arrest. Not that Matt had ever exchanged any sort of conversation with her, but since Charlie scoured light on his constant stares, Aspen noticed the boy's presence more often.

Aspen stopped in her tracks, jolting Charlie to a sudden halt, and Stiles and Scott didn't do well on hiding their inquisitive eyes. The two boys lingered ahead, choosing to stand against the windows so they wouldn't disrupt students' traffic.

"Did you forget the part where I said I don't trust you? What makes you think I'm just going to let you waltz right into my business and let you report back to your mom?"

A resounding snort exited Charlie's airways, and she couldn't restrain the obnoxiously amused snicker that surprised her lips. She brushes her soft waves from her shoulder before crossing her arms over her white tank top, stretching the material of the blue blazer she sported. It took a moment or two, but Aspen noticed the girl had been scavenging through her closet and didn't bother asking permission.

"Is -- dude, is that mine?" Aspen questioned the girl, completely swerving off their original topic. Her fingers pinched the satin material of the blazer, and she dipped her gaze before meeting her cousin's teel eyes again.

"Oh yeah, it went well with the top," Charlie chimed, bouncing on her toes as she looked down at the lacy tank top that hugged her figure. "It was between this one or that --uh-- band teeshirt ---Can't remember the name though..."