Chapter Sixty-Nine

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

The worksheet for the lab was handed out, and the class started. Tension was high, and the groupings were not reasonable in the slightest. They would shift station every few minutes, meaning she would have to sit next to Isaac at some point. Like she had thought earlier, eventful class. As long as Isaac or Erica got close to Lydia, the chance of them testing if she was the kanima was high. But with Mr. Harris monitoring their every move, it was nearly impossible to control the groupings.

Thankfully, Aspen was grouped with Lydia while everyone else was scattered. But she felt Isaac's eyes on the back of her head, making her sit straight. "Isaac is back." Lydia mumbled, eyes trained to pour a substance in a vial. "things seemed pretty tense back in the classroom. Have you guys talked since?"

"He's an ass. I have nothing to say to him." Aspen replied, writing down some notes. As long as she kept Lydia away from wondering why everyone was acting strange, she didn't mind her being nosy for a while.

"He seems rather cozy with Erica. You never get jealous?" she asked with her light tone, being rather inquisitive in her relationship, probably because she didn't have one to live at the moment.

"Why would I?" Aspen mixed their bubbling blue liquid after pouring some sugar.

"Because them spending every waking moment together requires some jealousy," she snipped with pursed lips.

Aspen looked ahead and huffed. She had tried not to think about Isaac and Erica, but now the picture was embedded in her mind. Mr. Harris tapped his bell, signaling for everyone to switch stations. This raised slight alarm, knowing they had to move quickly in order for Lydia to have a safe partner. "Listen to me, okay?" Aspen said. "Don't talk to Erica or Isaac."

"Why?"

"Just don't," Aspen warned with desperate eyes.

"Let's go girls, next station," Mr. Harris rushed from behind them before strolling off toward another table.

Aspen gathered her books and gave Lydia one more stern look. "Trust me, all right?"

Erica slid in the seat next to Charlie, and her interest quickly spiked, seeing that they haven't appropriately been introduced. "So you're Aspen's cousin. The one with the water--"

"Don't talk to me, or I'll make you choke on your own spit," Charlie snapped flatly, keeping her eyes on her blue liquid.

Erica was taken aback by the venomous words dripping from her tongue. Charlie looked her way with an intense stare and a devious smirk that she knew she sported better than Erica. "Pass me the sugar?" she asked sweetly, unphased by Erica's terrified expression.