Chapter Forty-Nine

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

Courtesy of Mr. Harris, Aspen, was cradling a warm cup of coffee in her hands at three in the morning, glaring down at her chemistry homework. As punishment for skipping out on his class, he assigned a written essay based on each law of thermodynamics. Knawing on her thumbnail, she kept the music on her phone low enough if by the off chance that Isaac tapped on her window.

She was able to squeeze in a nap after Charlie left her room, and she was, in a way, thankful for the girl. Aspen was free to move her back without feeling the stitch tug at her skin. Of course, she would have to get used to Charlie's obnoxious snoring heard from the other room, but as long as the blonde didn't get involved in werewolf matters, Aspen had no problem with her living here.

Gulping the last bit of coffee, Aspen set the cup on her nightstand along with two previous ones she had finished earlier. She stretched her hand out, preparing her fingers to cramp when she finished her essay when a frantic knock came from her window. She immediately dropped her pen, and a wave of panic flooded her mind as she threw her legs off the bed to cautiously approach her window. Aspen was working on controlling herself even when she was afraid. She recalled back at the cemetery when Sheriff Stilinski abruptly caught them snooping; she had to squeeze his tie to contain the familiar feeling circling her wrist. She noticed her pillow slightly hovering behind her before she clenched her fist, and the cushion let gravity pull it back down.

Aspen paused for a moment seeing Isaac staring at her from the other side of the glass. She knew she shouldn't have been surprised, but it didn't stop her hesitant hand from unlocking the window and letting the boy climb inside. Almost immediately, Isaac began mumbling to himself, undoubtedly silent scoldings from the abundance of profanities that left his lips. Aspen furrowed her brows as she put her hands up to calm the boys down.

"Woah Isaac, hey, what's going on?" Aspen rushed over to the door and twisted the lock, knowing already if Charlie was awake, she would barge in the room to question the commotion on a school night. Or tell Aspen she was kinky for sneaking a boy in her room.

"I messed up..." he mumbled to himself as he paced the corner of her room. "he's dead and--and I don't know how it happened..."

Aspen kept her distance at the door, but she could see Isaac sweating and panting as if he ran to her house. "Dead? Who's dead?" Aspen kept her voice steady, not wanting to alarm anyone in the home or the troubled boy before her. "what happened?"

Isaac gradually begins to slow down until he stopped completely and looked at Aspen's wood floor, fist clenching and unclenching by his side. "My dad...he's dead," he muttered in disbelief, the words leaving his lips still didn't seem to process in his brain. The news wasn't the only thing that frightened Aspen but the dry eyes from Isaac as he spoke. Her lips were parted just slightly as if to speak, but nothing reasonable came to mind. They were both in shock, but Aspen kept her eyes glued to Isaac, who hasn't made eye contact since he entered her room.