Chapter Twenty-Two

"Alright, everyone settle down!" Coach Finstock called out, his eyes bulging from his sockets

"Alright, everyone settle down!" Coach Finstock called out, his eyes bulging from his sockets. It was ironic that the loudest, most energetic man was demanding everyone to settle down. Aspen slumped in her seat behind Stiles, counting the minutes till she could go home and rest. Seeing Isaac throughout the day was painful enough. She just wanted things to go back to normal. Instead, they were back to being strangers who only gambled glances at each other. Right now, during Economics, Aspen could only stare at the back of his head as he sat in the front, not looking back once.

"McCall, you mind giving us a brief review of last night's reading?"

Aspen glanced toward Scott, who had been oblivious that the class had already started.

"Uh, I didn't do the reading. Sir." Scott sat straight in his seat, Allison biting her lip as she eyed the boy worryingly. He's been avoiding her all day, hoping to learn control, but seeing as she had taken the seat behind him before Stiles could, it was nearly impossible.

"Nice work McCall. It's not like you're averaging a D in this class."

Aspen could feel the heat radiating off Scott. Quite literally, in fact. She's never experienced anything like it before. She would have realized if she could feel people's body heat but never like this. Aspen felt hotter the more she heard the heart monitor beeping in Stiles' hand. She peered over his shoulder, seeing the numbers increasing rapidly.

Coach Finstock continued to pester Scott, making the boy shift uncomfortably in his seat. If coach only knew that there was a werewolf in his classroom about to go off like a ticking timebomb. Aspen could see his leg shaking, his frustration growing. She knew she had to do something—Anything to pull coach attention away from him.

Aspen noticed a cup of coffee resting on coach's desk next to his laptop. It would be a cruel thing to do, but if it meant preventing Scott's possible episode, she did what she must.

With a deep breath, muffling out the sound of coach's insults, she narrowed her eyes toward the cup focusing all her energy on the air trailing in from the air vents above. With her hand under the desk, she flicked to the side, the cup of coffee slowly tipping over and splatting onto coach's laptop.

The unforeseen sparks made the man spin around and run toward his laptop, curses emitting from his mouth.

The beeping began to subside, and Aspen looked to Scott and smiled when she noticed Allison's hand grasping onto his from under the desk.

"It's her," Aspen whispered, staring at their hands. Stiles leaned back in his seat and tilted his head over his shoulder.

"What do you mean?" he questioned, still wondering how his heart rate suddenly decreased.

Aspen leaned forward close to Stiles' ear. "It's Allison. It only makes sense. When Scott thinks about her, he's in control. Think about it, the night of the lacrosse game, he heard her voice on the bleachers, and he calmed down. He thinks about her."