Chapter Eighty

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

The wolves came to a vote of who was to take shotgun. As Aspen had settled herself in the front seat, applying the lip gloss gifted by Lydia, she let out a shriek when all three werewolves crashed into her car, fighting over the front seat. It seemed they had settled for a race. Isaac, who had his long legs to thank for his speed, took the front seat. Erica let out a string of colorful curses that Aspen was sure Grandpa Sam would disprove of, while Boyde let his moping last only seconds before getting comfortable in the back. However, Aspen promised him a front seat next time due to his broad shoulders.

Aspen wouldn't say her and Isaac's relationship was untangled from its knotted mess. Their short conversation back in the train station was one of the most prolonged interactions they'd had in a while. But it doesn't change that she had walked away from him when he was only trying to help. She made a note to pull him aside for a while to talk.

Despite telling herself Isaac and her werent the same, it seemed they complimented each other rather than completing each other in a way that Erica and Boyde picked up. The two watched with a perfect view from the back seat as Aspen and Isaac argued over how high the A.C. was. Isaac complained that his body was a walking heater, and Aspen made a dramatic claim that she would get hypothermia. When she began asking about his classes, Isaac hesitated and avoided her eyes. She swatted at his arm, chastising him for not keeping his grades up, and just because he's a werewolf does not mean he has the right to let his grades drop.

Erica let out a soft cry, resting her head against the window once Isaac mentioned all the new pillows he bought, considering Derek failed to provide the poor werewolves with a bed.

"You sleep with how many pillows?" Aspen snapped her neck in Isaac's direction, eyes glancing at his feet thrown over the dashboard because he claimed there was no space at the bottom. She swallowed down a scolding. 

Isaac shrugged. "Five."

Aspen gaped, choking on a cough. "How?"

"I sleep on a floor--it's actually insanely comfortable, don't knock it till you try it," he said, his casual statement made Aspen shake her head. Having noticed Aspen's dry cough before, he cracked open a water bottle.

"I absolutely will not try it. You're gonna have back problems--oh, thank you." Aspen's mother-mindedness halted when Issac nudged her arm with the back of his hand, holding the water bottle. She grabbed it quickly and took a few sips, letting the cool liquid soothe her aching throat. She hoped she hadn't caught a cold being in the dingy train station every morning.

"Listen," Isaac urged as he grabbed the bottle and twisted the lid back on. "back problems would be the least of my concerns with the life I'm living right now."

Aspen rolled her eyes as she snapped down on her signal light to enter the school parking lot. "Yeah, okay, just don't come crying to me when you have a kink in your shoulder the size of South America."