Chapter Sixty-Four

_____<•>_____

"How did you even know about the plan anyway?"

Aspen and Charlie settled with a brisk walk toward the school to attract less attention. Not that it would be expected to see two teenagers rushing toward the pools during a lacrosse game, but for what the town has come to, it was better to play it safe. They tried keeping the padding of their feet against the dark, duey grass light as they tiptoed closer to the school.

"I'm nosy," Charle shrugged indifferently, "Heard around. Pieced two and two together--"

"You were prying." Aspen deadpanned expectedly and rolled her eyes. She should have never anticipated anything less from her oh-so-beloved cousin.

"Correction, I took your phone."

"What?" Aspen gaped and fought the urge to lash out at her poor attempt to play off her mock-up as nothing more than "expected." It was too dark to tell, but she felt the smirk growing on Charlie's slips.

"I'd assumed you know by now. I have no boundaries."

"Obviously," Aspen smacked her arm, noticing the baby blue knitted sweater she had stolen from her closet. Just another reason for Aspen to accuse her of being a kleptomaniac.

They banter distinguished once they opened one of the many entrances of the school. The squeaking of the rusty hinges echoed through the hall. It was almost daunting. They crept with underlying hesitancy within each step they took. Aspen knew it wasn't the smartest idea, but she directed her mind to the air vents in the ceiling. She keened her ears on the drift and where it was shifting. She felt an ache in her wist, but she tried shoving it aside. If Stiles were in danger, she didn't care what it took, especially if that monstrosity lizard decided to make an entrance.

A cold hand brushed against her own, bringing her to snap from her stupor and look at Charlie.

"Stop that," she whispered, eyes lowering to Aspen's greying vein branched over her wrist, "you'll pass out, and I am not carrying you."

"I'm so glad I can rely on you," Aspen said dryly, her eyes pricking with tears from the sudden pain shooting up her arm. She quickly scanned ahead and squinted into the darkness as she heard Charlie snicker.

"Don't say I never help you," Charlie sang jollily.

"I can think of so many instances where you were no help at all," Aspen scoffed, "I'm literally making a list in my head right now."

Charlie snorted with amusement, "Okay, while you do that, I'm gonna make a list of all the times you've had a stick up your ass -- I hope you have enough time to listen to them all."