Chapter Twenty-Nine

Aspen quickly rode her bike along the dark road

Aspen quickly rode her bike along the dark road. It was a windy night, and Aspen's hearing was keener than normal. She heard every branch being tousled by the wind, every car honking in the distance, every animal hiding in the woods. It was frightening but amazing. She followed the sound of heavy breathy and pounding of feet, assuming it was Scott running through the woods. Aspen couldn't be too certain, but it was the only lead she had.

She shortly came upon a parking lot only lit by a lampost and a few surrounding stores. Aspen hopped off her bike and began walking alongside it, keeping her eyes open for any sign of a werewolf. This was where the sound had led her, but she couldn't understand why Scott would come here. She would have thought he would run to Allison's house.

The incipience of a headache racked her brain, and Aspen pressed the palm of her hand against her head. She felt her eyes begin to throb, fighting to turn into it's glassy white. She had to resist the urge, mainly in public. There weren't many cars, but she wasn't prepared to take her chances.

The blaring of an alarm caused her to screech as she looked up to see Scott in his full wolf form clawing at the top of a car. Allison's car, so to speak. Aspen couldn't exactly run over to him, or Allison would be sure to see her. She could hear the girl's screams from the car while another shout was heard, but she couldn't make out who it was.

Quickly looking at her surrounding, it didn't seem like anyone was in view. Aspen hid behind a car and let her hands loosen to her sides. If the full moon really had an effect on her power, she prayed this would be enough. Taking a deep breath, Aspen moved around the car. With her eyes glowing white, she used all the force in her arm to conjure a crescent-shaped construct of solidified air and whip it toward Scott. The werewolf was thrown from the car and flew in the air. As he fell to the ground with a hard thud, he rolled off the edge of a small hill and into the darkness of the woods behind the car.

Aspen ducked behind the car once again, her chest heaving. She felt the tension in her eye lesson, letting her know they were back to their original brown. The corners of her mouth slowly lifted, thinking about what she had just done. Making small objects fly was one thing, but blasting Scott off the car was the best feeling she's ever felt. Her smile quickly faded, thinking that her defensive wind most likely hurt the werewolf.

Peeking out from the side of the car, Allison's car was gone, probably leaving in a hurry. Aspen hoped to see who else was with her in the car but brushed it off, perceiving it wasn't her first priority at the moment.

Aspen crouched down as she ran across the lot and stood atop the hill. In the foggy darkness, Derek stood before Scott, who was laying on the dirt, propping himself up on one of his elbows as he stared at his clawed hand. Derek sensed her presence but kept his stare on Scott as the boy struggled to catch his breath. Aspen stumbled down the steep hill and caught herself before she could fall, standing next to Derek.