Chapter Seventy-six

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

While Aspen wished her days with Danny could extend for eternity, it was only a dream. At the last bell, Scott was jumping into the backseat of Stiles' jeep with Aspen in the passenger.

"Okay first stop, I think we should scout around town--" Scott's plan was cut off swiftly by Stiles' other plan.

"Hospital first," he said, starting the engine.

Aspen turned her body, pausing midway to fasten her seatbelt. "The hospital? Why would Jackson be there?" she asked.

"He's not. I just gotta make a quick stop." Stiles answered quietly, not letting them have enough clarity to object to his reasoning.

"For what?"

Scott sat forward, hands bracing on either front seat. "Are you seriously thinking of visiting Charlie again? Now?" he snapped.

Aspen's lips fell open, brows raising a fraction with surprise. "How many times have you gone to see her?"

Stiles looked utterly offended by Scott's betrayal with a dramatic scoff. "I'll have you know, what I do in my free time does not concern you in the least." he sassed with a twitch of his head.

"How many times Stiles?" Aspen repeated sternly, sending a chill throughout the car that made both boys freeze.

"A couple of times," he exasperated, dropping his hands in his lap, finally facing Aspen. Scott cleared his throat, once again exposing his lie. But there was no need. Aspen could hear his heartbeat just as well. Stiles looked between the two, seeing he did not have them the least bit convinced. "Okay, fine, like five times. Well, now would be six. Six at the most. Fine well, now would be seven, but I swear that's all!"

"Seven times, and I couldn't even see her once?" Aspen nearly shouted in disbelief, sitting back in her seat and pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Oh, come on, seven is my lucky number. I couldn't leave it at a measly six!"

"Shut up," Aspen vexed darkly.

"Shutting up." Stiles squeaked quickly, opening his overhead in search of something. He paused for a moment, padding down his body and opening every compartment in the car.

"Dude, did you lose your phone? We gotta go," Scott rushed.

"Aspen, where are my sunglasses?" Stiles asked in a panic.

Aspen's lips fell agape with disbelief before clamping them shut and staring at Stiles. "How the hell am I supposed to know?" she asked agitatedly, entertaining his stupidity.