Chapter Seventeen

Aspen came to a halt upon seeing a familiar head of hair seated on a bench outside the school's front doors

Aspen came to a halt upon seeing a familiar head of hair seated on a bench outside the school's front doors. As Danny said, Scott did look distraught as he tossed across ball into the air, leaning back as it almost went over his head. Aspen had to catch her breath before she slowly approached Scott, who appeared to be oblivious to her presence.

"Scott."

Upon hearing his name, the werewolf turned his head only to have the lacrosse ball fall and hit his face. Aspen flinched on contact as Scott groaned and held his eye where the ball had landed.

"Sorry, sorry," Asen pleaded, quickly taking a seat next to him and gripped his chin to force his face toward her.

"It's fine. I didn't even hear you coming," Scott said, blinking rapidly till the pain diminished.

"Light on my feet, I guess," Aspen chuckled lightly as the joke was only meant for her.

Scott met her gaze, his eyes softer than they were the other day from their argument. Aspen let go of his chin but kept her gaze on him.

"What's going on, Scott? You've been distant, and quite frankly, I don't understand why," Aspen said.

Scott leaned forward as he plucked on the sleeve of his shirt.

"I'm not the one that's been distant," he mumbled quietly. He must have thought she couldn't hear him, but thanks to her new enhanced hearing, she heard it clearly.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you're always with Isaac."

Air hitched in Aspen's throat as she was at a loss for words. A brief silence latched itself between them as he refused to look at her.

"Is that really what this is about? Scott why would you even-"

"I feel like Stiles, and I are losing you. At least me. I feel like ever since I told you about me being a werewolf, you're scared. Especially since I hurt you. I'm driving you away, and I don't want to lose you like that."

Aspen felt her face heat up. She felt selfish for thinking he was angry with her when he was only afraid she was slipping away.

"I'm not afraid of you, Scott," Aspen whispered.

Scott quickly faced her, surprise coloring his face.

"You're not?"

"Of course, not-Scott, you're my best friend—you and Stiles. Nothing can change that. As for Isaac, he'll never replace either of you, okay? Yeah, you scratched me, but I never held it against you. Besides, I healed, and you can't even see it anymore."

"Are you sure? I don't want to drag you into something that could hurt you."

Aspen laughed at this. If only he knew her ability could be much worse.