Chapter Forty-Three

_____<•>_____

_____<•>_____

Aspen always questioned the appeal of overloads of makeup and a dress that was too tight to maneuver. Even in the short silver spaghetti strap dress she had randomly decided to buy, she thought it was a little too much. The only thing she enjoyed was picking the silk material between her fingers and the hidden pockets where she could tuck away her remaining marbles. Aspen didn't know the first thing about makeup or hair design. So when Melissa McCall offered a hand, she didn't think twice to accept. Since Isaac didn't have a car, they agreed to just meet at the school, and Aspen would have Stiles take her and Lydia. 

"You know it's a shame that this Isaac character couldn't pick you up," Melissa mumbled with a pin in her mouth, pushing in another one to hold in the styled low bun in Aspen's hair. They were currently standing in the McCall driveway, waiting for her grand chariot, Stiles' jeep. But Melissa continued finding an excuse to fuss with her hair, claiming it might come loose during a dance, which Aspen doubted she would partake in. Since she arrived at Melissa's house, she had messaged Isaac multiply times but no reply. She feared it was his father's doing. "I bought a new camera, could've gotten some shots of you two."

Aspen leaned away from her quick hands, tucking a stray curl behind her ear and watching as Melissa's eyes bug out with her movement. "I don't really mind, Melissa. And we already agreed to meet there. It's just convenient for the both of us." Aspen assured with a light laugh. For as long as she's known Melissa, rarely anything went over her head, so considering Scott had hidden most of his nighttime getaways was beyond her. But right now, the woman was slowly narrowing her eyes as if reading Aspen's expression. "What? What did I do?"

"Oh, nothing," Melissa shrugged casually, her eyes looking the teenager up and down. "I just happen to notice you were fiddling with your dress this entire night, and while I was doing your hair and makeup inside, I may have seen your multiple unread texts to Isaac."

Aspen clicked her tongue and quit touching her dress. "That's an invasion of privacy, Melissa."

"Is it really? I mean, you were at my house."

"Still my phone."

Melissa let her hands flop against her thighs, surrendering her case. A light began to shine on the road behind them, and Stiles jeep came to a skidding stop. Aspen choked back a laugh as she heard Lydia snap at Stiles for stopping to hard. "Alright, have fun or at least try to," Melissa informed, taking one last look at Aspen with a warm smile and something hidden behind her eyes, which Aspen quickly caught onto.

"Oh, please don't cry," Aspen whined quietly.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry," Melissa fanned the tears building up in her eyes before wiping them away with the sleeve of her cardigan. "You're just so beautiful and grown-up now. If this Isaac guy doesn't work out, I can arrange something with Scott."