Chapter Twenty-Three

Stepping out from the steaming shower, water droplets decorated Aspen's face

Stepping out from the steaming shower, water droplets decorated Aspen's face. With her hair held back with a clip, she wrapped a towel around her body, careful not to slip once she approached her sink. She wiped the condensation built upon her mirror, staring back at her reflection.

Since Derek informed her that she was an Elementalist, Aspen had been mindful of how she used her hands, scared she would inadvertently chatter her sink or hug her grandfather too tight. She couldn't recognize herself as her mirror fogged over once again. She was a typical sophomore at the beginning of the year; now, she had so much power just at her fingertips.

Aspen already figured that her grandfather knew about what she could do. The marbles, her last name, it only made sense. She was planning on approaching him about the matter tonight, but he left a note on the fridge that he would be out most of the night playing bingo at the community center.

There was no excuse why she couldn't just tell Scott and Stiles what she was, but she was too indecisive, afraid she would only add to the continuing burden on Scott's shoulders. Himself and Allison were going on a double date with Lydia and Jackson. Hopefully, that would serve as a stress reliever from the mess looming over the three teenagers.

Changing into something more comfortable, Aspen pulled a tank top over her head before slipping on shorts. With the storm brewing outside, the house became extremely humid, making Aspen soon regret the warm shower. After lowering the AC to her liking, she tossed her clip to the bed before she nuzzled herself against the headboard of her bed, her dim lamp giving her just enough light to read a book that she had abandoned just before school began.

Her fingers creased the edge of one of the pages as her eyes scanned the page of a book her mother had left for her before she passed. The story was in French, hence Aspen had a hard time following the plot when her grandfather attempted to read it to her at a young age, but since she's taken the class in school, she pictured the scenario clearly in her head.

Aspen was too engrossed in the novel that she hadn't expected the sudden knock on her window, bringing to her to be startled enough to drop her book. For a moment, she thought it could be Derek, but the werewolf had a problem with boundaries and came in without consent. This brought Aspen to dread as she threw a leg off the side of her bed and slowly crept closer to her curtains.

The storm was rumbling louder outside as the sound of rain beat against her window. With a deep intake of breath, Aspen yanked the drapes apart only to see Isaac's face staring at her, rain dripping down his face

Puzzlement colored her features as she quickly fumbled with the lock before lifting the window open. She grabbed Isaac's soaked arm and drew him inside, his body shivering in her touch. It was cold outside, but not as cold as Isaac's skin at the moment. Aspen slammed her window shut, rain wetting her floor and the strong wind slowing her curtains back.