Chapter 18

Jax

"So, what is going on between you and mouth-watering Ms. Hailey," Ryder asks me, and I shoot him an angry glare. I don't ever want him to talk about her like that. "Chill," he tries to calm me and laughs at the same time.

"Dude, you know he's sensitive when it comes to Hailey. You should have seen him when the bartender tried to flirt with her. Jax almost bit his head off," Owen adds, and they all start laughing at me. I try to contain my own, but I can't help the smile that spreads over my face. He isn't wrong.

"No, but seriously, what is going on with you two?" Hunter asks curiously, and I shift my eyes to give him my full attention. It takes me a second before I answer his question, but it's mostly because I want to build up tension.

"We're dating," I finally tell them, and I watch surprised expressions cover all of their faces. They clearly weren't expecting that. I smile and take a sip of my beer. Fuck, it feels good to finally be able to say she is mine, I get to kiss her, and be with her. No one else, just me.

Ryder is the first to regain the ability to speak. "Since when?" He smirks at me, and I run my fingers along the condense water of the bottle.

"A few days ago she kissed me," I inform them, another smile creeping onto my face. It's almost ridiculous how giddy I feel while, at the same time, the caveman inside of me feels like growling out of pride. I remember how nervous I was when she'd stood so close to me, her hands resting on my body. And then when she finally kissed me, I felt a level of happiness like never before. It was as if all of the pieces somehow fell into place.

"Well, took her long enough. I'm glad she decided you were worth giving a shot. Hope you don't disappoint her," Hunter teases me, and I laugh a cold laugh, which I don't mean one bit.

"You and me both, dude." I'm terrified of hurting her. Knowing there is something, which causes Hailey to tear up by the sheer thought of it, scares me even more. I don't ever want to be the reason her happy smile fades. I want to be the one to place it on her lips continuously. That's why I'm afraid and that's why I have to be good enough for her. I will be good enough for her.

A girl with long skinny legs and a permanent smirk on her face comes up to the table to flirt with us. Not even five minutes later Ryder, winks at us and leaves with her. They start dancing, or more accurately, dry-humping, on the dance floor, and I shake my head. As I watch them, I try to forget this was me two months ago. Having a random girl grind on me because I knew she wanted to fuck me. Especially after I danced in such a way with Hailey, and it was so much hotter and intimate because I really had to concentrate to figure out what it meant. Now, I know she wanted more, just like I did. Looking back now, my behavior disgusts me. It's interesting how one person can change the way you look at the world. I finally understand what people mean when they say that people can change you. Hailey has changed me. Whether she knows it or not, she has. For the better.

Another girl comes up to the table and starts talking to Hunter. He pretends like he is interested in what she has to say, but I know deep down, he doesn't want her. He hasn't wanted someone for a long time. Well, except for one person. She is the one person he will never admit to himself he wants. I watch as the girl desperately tries to grab more and more of his attention by pushing her tits in his face. As she did, he looks away and focuses back on Owen and me.

"I think I'm gonna go home," Owen says, and I throw him a disappointed glare.

"Yeah, it's already eleven p.m. Better hurry up, old man, you might not get your twelve hours of sleep." Hunter laughs, and I shake my head. Owen looks irritated as he stares at his closest friend. They live together and bicker like brothers. Sometimes, I'm convinced they must be.