Chapter 35

I reorganize the table for the millionth time and place the finished lasagna in the middle. I have been obsessing over every little detail. The dinner between my uncle, Harvey, me, and Jax has been the only thing on my mind for the entire day. Everything needs to be perfect, especially because Harvey hates Jax's guts. Maybe dinner will change his opinion about Jax.

A knock on the door startles me, and I make my way over to it to open it. A very tired-looking Jax stands in front of it with some flowers in his hands. I beam up at him, and he forces a smile.

"Hi, baby," I say before stepping on my tiptoes and kissing him. When I pull away from the kiss, there is a hint of sadness in his eyes. "What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing, love." His index finger strokes my cheek, and he forces another smile.

"It's obviously not nothing. Talk to me," I plead but he shakes his head.

"Let's just have a nice evening." He struts past me into the house and puts the flowers in a vase he finds.

It's been obvious for a few days now that something has been bothering him, but he won't talk to me. He's hiding something from me he clearly doesn't want to share. I thought we were past this. I thought we were at a point where we could talk about things that upset us, clearly, I was wrong. I take a deep breath and decide to let it go. He will come to me when he's ready to talk.

Uncle Ben and Harvey come downstairs and greet Jax politely. I'm surprised Harvey is being so nice to Jax, but at the same time, I'm thankful he's putting an effort in. Harvey is a really good cousin.

We sit down at the table and start eating the food I made. Uncle Ben makes small talk with Jax and everyone is being polite to each other. It would be perfect if Jax didn't look like he's in pain. The whole time, whether he's taking a bite of the food or staring at me, he looks like he's hurting. It would make things so much easier for both of us if he'd just open up.

We continue eating, until Uncle Ben and Jax go into the living room, leaving Harvey and me to clean up the dishes. I stay silent because Jax's behavior bothers me and I'm trying to figure out what it could possibly be. His family is doing a lot better and I know they are okay, I just saw Hunter and Ryder earlier today, and they seemed fine, too. I can't figure out what it is. Maybe his company. Who knew? He isn't exactly talking to me.

"Where are you?" Harvey asks me after a while of us being silent.

"What?" My eyes shoot up to his face, and he has a worried expression on his face.

"He seems distant, you seem far away. Are you guys okay?" Harvey takes the plate I was holding from me and dries it.

"I think so, at least we were yesterday. I don't know what's going on," I reply in all honesty.

"Don't worry, he's probably just having a bad day." Harvey hugs me, and I sigh. Hopefully, that's all it is.