Chapter 26

Jax

Hailey opens the door of her place for me and heads into her bedroom while I settle down on her couch. My phone vibrates in my pocket, and I pull it out to see William's name on my screen. I answer the call and put the phone to my ear.

"Good morning, sir," I say politely and respectfully. After the events of the night before, I need to bring normalcy back into our relationship. Yesterday I was disrespectful, and even though I meant everything I told him, he's done too much for me to act like a jerk towards him.

"You need to come to the office right now!" he yells, making me hold the phone slightly further away from my ear to prevent going deaf.

"What happened?" I ask in a much calmer voice than the one he's using. My first instinct tells me he is overreacting again, but I need to make things right between us.

"The deal didn't go through. The bastards declined it at the last second." The anger in his voice doesn't fade. The only difference now is I am angry too. "There is another company who wants to sign the same deal with us, but you have to come in right now. They want you here."

"I'll be there in five," I reply and hang up the phone.

I get up from the couch and put the phone in my back pocket. Hailey walks out of her room in a stunning beige dress, which hugs all of her curves so damn perfectly, my mouth water. I wonder what kind of a genius designed this dress. Hailey walks towards me and pulls her hair up in a ponytail.

"Somebody sounded very angry. I'm guessing it is your partner again." I nod, and she gives me a small smile. "If you have to go, go. Do you need anything from me?" she asks me and puts her hands on my hips.

"No, I don't-" Lily and Jace are waiting for me to pick them up. Shit. What am I going to do? Mom's leaving town, and I don't have anyone else to take care of them.

"What's wrong?" I focus my gaze on her eyes again. I could get lost in them every time.

"I have to pick up my siblings, but my office needs me." Hailey stares at me while I try to figure out what I'm going to do. Maybe Ryder can pick them up? No, he's busy building the extravagant house for a millionaire. Owen and Hunter are also working. The only person I can think could help me is Hailey. "I hate to ask this of you, but could you pick them up? I will do my best to come home as soon as possible," I assure her and watch her think about it for a few moments.

"Okay, how much does it pay?" she jokes. "I used to babysit my neighbors' children when they went on their weekly date night, but that was different. The parents knew me, your mom doesn't know me." I study her face for a few moments.

"But I know you. I don't think my mom will have a problem as long as someone is there to pick up her children while she goes on her little vacation," I try to joke, but I can tell she sees how much my mother's irresponsibility bothers me.

"What about work? I have to go to work, I already left early yesterday," she reminds me, and I pull my phone out of my pocket to text Hunter.

"Don't worry, Hunter still owes me." I hit send on the message I just wrote, hoping my bribe to buy him as much beer as he can possibly drink for the next week will convince him to let her take one more day off. "I'm being such a jerk," I point out when I realize what I'm doing. Hailey's hands are still on my hips as she looks patiently at my lips, waiting for more words to fall from them. "I'm sorry, I'm not usually this selfish. I don't know what to do. I have to go to my office to deal with my partner, and I don't know who else could help me, and I trust you with my life, and-" She cuts me off before I can go in full rant-mode.