Chapter 43

Jax

Over the next couple of weeks, Hailey and I tell our closest friends and family about her pregnancy. We decided to wait to tell them about our engagement. I don't want people thinking I only want to marry her because she's pregnant. It might be one item on an infinite list of reasons. The most important one being that she's the love of my life.

Hailey actually manages to convince me to go to work today. All of me wants to stay in bed with her and rub her stomach. But there are also a million problems I have to take care of at work. Ever since I fired William, I have to do everything he used to do as well as my own work.

After six hours, my head hurts, and I'm ready to go home to my fiance. I wonder what she is up to. I pick up my phone to call her when a swift knock on my door keeps me from doing so.

"Come in," I say, before immediately regretting it.

"Hello, handsome." Cara Kaston stands, yet again, in my door frame, barely wearing any clothes. I stare at her with the utmost disgust I can muster and then call for security. "Hey, no! Don't do that. Come on, baby, I can make you feel good." She walks over towards me, and I jump out of my seat to move away from her. I'm so uncomfortable having her in my office.

"You're crazy if you think I will ever let you touch me. I'm very happy with my fiance." Her jaw drops to the floor but before she can do anything else, security takes her by the arms and removes her from my building.

I shake my head and head home to Hailey. I've missed her the whole day already and after this whole Cara disaster, I really need to hold her now, feel her stomach. I need to be with my family.

-------------------------------------

I walk through the door, calling Hailey's name a couple of times, but getting no response. I check every room on the ground floor without any luck finding her. Panic builds up in my stomach. I rush into the kitchen, relieved to find her sitting at the counter. She was gripping her phone tightly, looking at something, which clearly upsets her.

"Baby, what's wrong?" She looks at me, disappointment in her eyes, but she doesn't respond. I move closer but she puts up her hand, signaling me to stay where I am.

She holds up her phone before she glares at me and says, "I want an explanation because I know you wouldn't do this to me. Not now, not while baby Jeremy is growing inside me." She gets up, hands me her phone, and steps back.

Tears escape her eyes, and panic settles in my stomach again as I scroll through the pictures which show Cara half-naked in my office. There are at least ten pictures of Cara getting closer to me, but not a single one showing me back away from her. Someone must have taken those pictures from the opposite building. Who would do this? Instead of getting caught up in the questions I can't answer right now, I focus on my beautiful fiance who is crying over something which did not and will never happen.

"I would never do that to you, ever." I stare into her eyes, looking for some kind of relief, but all I find is anger. So I continue, "This woman's name is Cara Kaston. I 'dated' her a while back and ever since then, she has been kind of obsessed with me. Today was her failed attempt at seducing me. I promise you, nothing happened. You can even ask security, who escorted her out of my building. Baby, I promise I would never do that. I love you too much." She simply nods listening to every single word I'm saying. It's obvious she believes me, but she's still being distant, and I hate it.

"Okay," she replies. "I think I'm going to sleep in the guest bedroom tonight. I need some space from this situation. I'm not mad. I just need space." Her face falls, and I know I have to respect her wishes, no matter how much it hurts me. As much as I want to hold her in my arms, I know how this looks.

I lie awake in my bed for a couple of hours before I decide to give up and go downstairs to get some water. The past few weeks I've grown so used to Hailey sleeping next to me that when she isn't, I hardly rest. The bed feels cold without her. I open the drawer where I hid the ring I was going to give her earlier tonight. I take it out and place it on the counter in front of me. My nana gave me this ring before she died a few years ago. She said, "Whoever you choose to give this to, make sure she is the one because once you give this ring away, it will always belong to her."

I didn't quite understand what she meant back then but ever since Hailey stepped into my life, I understand it perfectly clear.

I know what I have to do then.