Chapter 16

Hailey

"Hailey, table six is still waiting for their food," Kalia complains, while I'm already holding two trays and following Sebastian, one of my coworkers, to table twelve. Today is one of the most stressful days we've had in the time I've worked at 'Hallewell's'. "Hailey!" she yells at me, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. When she looks at me, she motions for me to go with Sebastian, but I know she wants me to go back as soon as possible. I had no idea lunch could be such a busy time. Sebastian takes the food off the trays, and I rush back into the kitchen.

"Sorry, Kalia," I mumble and place the food for table six on my tray. I run back out and bring the group of four girls their pasta and pizza dishes. They thank me, and I remind them to let me know if they need anything else.

"Hailey, come here for a second please," Hunter says once I'm back in the kitchen. I find him standing by his office door, and I make my way over to him. There is a big smile on his face, and the nervous feeling in my chest disappears. Good, he isn't going to yell at me too. "Listen, I know your shift is over in about five minutes, but could you stay an hour or two longer? Alessandra just called in sick," he informs me, and I look at my watch.

"Okay, but I have to call Jax, we're supposed to meet in an hour," I reply, which makes his eyes go wide in shock.

"No, don't. I will find someone else. Sorry to have bothered you," he quickly tells me and goes back into his office, shutting the door.

"Weird," I mutter to myself.

By the end of my shift, I've made an absurd amount of money in tips and my legs hurt. It's two in the afternoon, but I've been up since seven and working since eight. Hunter introduced breakfast to the restaurant, which means more shifts and less sleep.

Once I'm sitting down in my car, I take a deep breath to calm down. I remind myself of my non-date with Jax, and a smile creeps onto my face. I miss that handsome boy, even though I just saw him yesterday. It was definitely one of the best nights of my life. All the dancing, laughing, and being close to him has got my heart in a whirlwind. The best damn whirlwind of my life.

----------------------

I walk into my uncle's living room and sit down on his couch. Uncle Ben is very intensely watching the basketball game on tv. My uncle loves basketball. He used to be very good at it, too, before he fell down a staircase at twenty-three years old. His right arm was so badly hurt, the doctors told him he could never play basketball again. He was devastated. Uncle Ben lost his passion forever. I can't imagine what that feels like. I can't imagine what I would do if I couldn't sing or dance anymore. Just thinking about it terrifies me.

"I'm sorry, angel. What's up?" he asks me when the game is over. I came five minutes before it was done, which is good. I have a thing to get to.

"Can I ask you something?" I want to talk to him about Jax. I have to talk to somebody about him. My feelings are very confusing, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to convince myself I just want to be friends, but it doesn't feel right.

"Something? Or is it someone you'd like to talk about?" He cocks an eyebrow. "Halo, I'm not blind. I know you have been spending a lot of time with Jax Hickley and clearly, you have feelings for him. So, what do you want to ask me?" There is nothing I can hide from this man. He knows me too well. It's nice knowing someone like that still exists.

"I like him... a lot. And I think he likes me, too." I pause and look at my hands. "I don't know what to do. On one hand, I'm not sure he is the kind of guy who is good at being in a relationship, but on the other hand, he's so sweet to me. Jax does everything to make me happy. He takes me out, makes me laugh, dances with me, and he listens. I feel like I can trust him. Ugh, I don't know what to do." I look up at Uncle Ben, who is watching me closely. Things shouldn't be this complicated.

"Hailey, if you like Jaxon and he likes you, then give him a chance. His past shouldn't define him. We all have a past. We all have done things we regret. Just tell me this one thing: Do you want to be with him?" I nod and stare down at my hands again. I don't want to admit it, but I want him. I want Jax more than I've ever wanted someone romantically. "There you go. He makes you happy, angel. So be happy." I smile at him, get up, and kiss the top of his head.

"Have I told you how much I love you, recently?" He winks at me and takes my hand in his.

"You have, but you can tell me as much as you want. I love you too, Halo. Always have and always will." He squeezes my hand, and I go outside. I might start crying if I continue this conversation.

Jax is leaning against his car, once again looking like the most angelic person I have ever seen. I rush towards him, my heart beating faster than ever. A confused grin places itself on his full lips, but he opens his arms for me nevertheless. I stop in front of him and place my right hand on his hard-left pec. His hands touch my hips, and goosebumps spread over my arms.

My eyes focus on my hand, and I'm out of breath just thinking about what I want to do next. "What's going on, gorgeous?" he asks me with his low, husky voice, making me surer of my decision. Jax puts his hand on the side of my face and caresses my cheek before he takes my chin between his thumb and index finger. He lifts my head so my eyes meet his revealing a fire in his eyes that I've never seen before. "Talk to me," he whispers, and I bite my bottom lip in response. My senses are overwhelmed by him. His eyes and lips catch my sight's attention. His muscles please my sense of touch. His mahogany scent charms my sense of smell. His voice satisfies my sense of hearing. The only sense left is taste, but I'm sure he will manage to overwhelm that too.

"I want to kiss you," I admit shamelessly. I move my hands to his neck and rest them there before I go on my tiptoes. Jax leans down so our lips meet. I've been kissed before but this, this feels completely different. It's not sloppy or eager.

Jax is actually quite gentle. I can feel he's hungry for more, but so am I. He tastes like mint and watermelon for some reason. No matter what, the taste drives me crazy, and I crave more. His tongue presses against my mouth, and I part my lips for him. I feel his tongue slide inside my mouth, and my knees go weak. Jax holds me up with his left arm around my waist while his right hand is holding my face close to him. He explores my mouth, and I let him. Nothing has ever felt as good as Jax's lips on mine while his tongue massages my own. The familiar ache between my legs returns, this time stronger and more intense. Jax's hands drop to the small of my back, but he doesn't go any lower than that. I wish he would, but I also know he wouldn't without asking permission. My hands slide into his hair, and I tug gently when he bites down on my bottom lip. My skin is on fire, and I wish he would rip my clothes off. It may be a bit too soon for that, however.

After a few more seconds, Jaxon breaks the kiss, so we can catch our breath. My hands rest on his muscular chest, while he plays with my hair. "I don't think friends do that," he says when I don't speak.

"No, they don't," I reply, and my eyes stare into his. A smile places itself on my lips, which feel a little swollen from the quick makeout session we just had. This feels right. Jaxon makes me happy.

"Are you sure you want this?" The hope in his eyes isn't difficult to recognize. I press my lips against his again and then step back. Kissing him may have been a mistake because now, it's all I can think of doing.

"Very." A smile I've never seen lifts the corners of his mouth. It's sweeter and fuller as if it reaches all of his features at once. I love this new smile.

"Good because just being friends with you was getting pretty damn hard." He opens the car door for me, and I step inside. Yes, it was.