Chapter 46

Jax

"Would you stop being so nervous?" Hailey's hand covers my shaking knee and a smile plays on her lips. She is obviously amused by my behavior but her touch is calming. I don't even know why I'm this nervous. I don't care whether we have a boy or a girl. Either way, he or she will be gorgeous. How could he or she not be when Hailey is their mother.

"Why aren't you nervous?" I stare into her eyes, and she puts her hand on my cheek.

"Because I know that no matter what, we're going to be happy." Her smile is genuine, but there is something bothering her. I asked her at breakfast but she wouldn't tell me anything. I place kisses along her hand and arm to make the upset expression disappear.

"Ms. Lewis," the nurse calls from across the room. My heart does at least three jumps before it calms down. Hailey and I follow the nurse into the room where she tells us the doctor will be right with us.

"I can't wait to change that," I tell her while I inspect the equipment.

"Change what?" Hailey seems nervous now too, and I smile. What a little hypocrite...

"Your last name. Doesn't Hailey Lewis-Hickley sound better?" She smiles at me but I know she likes the sound of it as much as I do.

"Well, hello there." Doctor Tailor walks into the room, with a big smile on her face. "I understand you're very anxious to find out the gender of the little one." We both nod eagerly, like little children. Doctor Tailor turns on the ultrasound equipment, spreads a gel over the small bump, and runs the transducer over it. After a few too many minutes, he removes the equipment and turns to look at us. "Until now, everything looks absolutely perfect. He's going to be a very healthy and big boy." He hands us pictures of the small being growing inside of Hailey's uterus.

A single tear escapes my eye, and I watch as Hailey removes it before she says, "I know, me too."

"I love him so much already. Is that even possible?" I stare down at the picture again. My mind can't comprehend how a living being is actually growing inside of Hailey. Jeremy is already amazing the hell out of me.

"It is possible. I do, too." Hailey's hands rest on her stomach, while tears of joy keep rolling down her cheeks. I try to swallow back my own, but this moment is too perfect to hold back my emotions.

---------------------------

Hailey and I finish Jeremy's nursery during the next few weeks, look at different wedding locations, only to agree a simple beach wedding is what we want, and buy a lot of baby clothes. In my opinion, probably too many pairs of everything, but it's worth it because whenever we buy something new, Hailey can't stop smiling for three hours.

Work is stressful, but I finally hired someone to fill in William's position. He helps a lot and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Then again, I also thought William was a great man, and I was completely wrong about him.

Whenever I have to stay late at work, Hailey will come into my office and bring me food. She doesn't want me to 'starve', even though I always tell her she doesn't have to. But if I'm being honest with myself, I need her to. Being away from her, no matter how long, is something I only do if it's absolutely necessary.

I'm in my office for twelve hours already because of too many incompetent people and not enough hard workers. I'm completely pissed off because I'm supposed to meet Hailey for dinner at home, but some of the finances got mixed up by one of my employees, which means I have to redo them all. I sit at my desk, drinking my third cup of coffee when loud bangs echo through the halls of my building. I press the button to call for security, but I doubt they'll come. I run towards the door and lock myself in my office. Panic settles in my stomach, yet my main concern is that I have to secure my office as much as possible. Before I can even do anything more, my door is kicked in and slams on the ground. A gunshot fills the room and the next thing I know, a bullet hits me in the shoulder, and I cry out louder than I have ever. Blood drip on my carpet. Slowly, I turn around to look at the person who has done this to me, when all the color drains from my face.

"Well, I'd really hoped it wouldn't have to come to this, son, but you both left me no choice." William's voice is bitter, clearly, he's disgusted by me. The man standing beside him is holding the gun, which is still pointed directly at me. He's slim, short hair, and dark eyes. Everything about him seems to me like he doesn't actually want to be there.

"What are you talking about?" I ask him, while I press down on the shot wound. The pain is terrible, but not unbearable. I stare at him, but instead of responding he simply laughs, as if I should know what the fuck it is that he wants from me.

William turns to the man with the gun, before he says, "Take him, knock him out if you have to. Do not kill him. We still need him." William steps outside into the hallway and the man with the gun walks towards me. His knees are shaking slightly but the gun in his hand is threatening anyway. It doesn't matter if his knees shake or not, he clearly isn't afraid to pull the trigger.

"Get up!" He spits the words at me.

I do as he tells me and wince as pain shoots through my arm. I bite my lip and taste blood immediately afterward. The pain is worse than I anticipated. Still, I'm determined to fight my way out of this situation. I take a leap at the guy but before I can get a good swing at him, everything goes pitch black...