Chapter 48

Jax

"You can't do this! You can't make her decide something like this! Let me die. If the choice has to be made, just kill me!" I'm pleading with him but he simply laughs and shakes his head. There is more blood flowing out of my wound and my arm is getting numb. I can hardly move it yet all I can think about is Jeremy and Hailey.

"Not your choice to make. I'm not here to ruin your life. I'm here to ruin hers. You're just, let's say, collateral." He rolls his eyes and puts his hand under his chin. "Making her choose will ruin her life forever. She will never forgive herself either way."

William stands in front of me while the guy who shot me is sitting in a chair across the room. He is staring at me, waiting for me to do something I'm not supposed to. Even if I wanted to do anything, he tied me to a chair so tightly, I can't move an inch.

I watch as William takes out his phone again and smiles bitterly at it. I scream as loudly as I can at him and shift in my seat, trying to pull on the rope. I instantly regret it when pain shoots through my arm. There is no use.

"Please, don't do this." I know begging probably doesn't do anything, but I can't think of anything else. Baby Jeremy's life is on the line, and I want him to live it. No matter what it takes. If I have to give my life for his, I will, in a heartbeat.

"You're so weak. I actually don't know what my daughter sees in you. Then again, she is just as weak as you." He stares down at his phone again, and anger builds up in my stomach.

"Hailey is not weak. She is the strongest, bravest woman on the fucking planet. She watched her best friend get killed and her parents didn't give a shit about her. She had to do everything alone, get through everything by herself, and probably without complaining once. So, if you think she is weak, think again, because you have no idea what she's capable of." I know she will find a way out of this. I know she will save me. I believe in her with every fiber of my being. She won't let William break her. She won't give in without a fight. And neither will I.

I look around, trying to find any clue as to where we are. Some boxes are stacked in the corner and a few chairs are scattered around the room. Nothing else gives me any clue as to where the hell we are. I groan in anger and watch as the gunman gets up from his chair to make his way over to me. He grabs a piece of duct tape and puts it tightly on my mouth. Clearly, I'm making too much noise for him.

Another man walks in, through the only visible door in this whole space, dressed in a lab coat. I panic. He will hurt Hailey and Jeremy. William hands him a gun, and I start struggling in my chair, ignoring the pain, ignoring everything. All I achieve is make the first gunman angry. He walks back over to me and punches me so hard in the face, I taste blood in my mouth. He continues to hit me until I hear William tell him to stop. My eyelids suddenly get really heavy and without me wanting to, I fall asleep.