Chapter 11

Jax

On Saturday morning, I decide to go check on my siblings. It has been a while since I've heard from them, and I want to make sure they're okay. Mom still hasn't spoken to me, and I doubt she will anytime soon. It must not bother her that her oldest son isn't speaking to her, which is fine by me. My biggest concern is the safety of my siblings. They are my number one priority, something Mother could learn from me.

I knock on the door and wait patiently for an answer. Jace and Lily both answer the door, and I let out a relieved breath.

"Hey guys," I say and squat down to greet them properly. Excitement washes over both their faces.

"Jax," they yell at the same time, and I open my arms to hug them.

"Where is Mom?" I ask. Lily is still hugging me, and I feel guilty for not coming to see them sooner. They have missed me, and it's not fair of me to go an entire week without seeing them.

Jace smiles before he answers me. "She's taking a bath." I nod, and once Lily steps out of the hug, we walk inside. She pulls me all the way to the kitchen and hands me a cookie. Lily is always worried I'm not eating enough. I don't know where she gets it from, but at least someone reminds me to eat every now and then. I tend to forget, not that I would ever tell Lily.

"I actually have to go to work soon, but I wanted to ask if everything is okay. And I also wanted to let you know if there is anything you want to talk about, you can." Both of them shake their heads, but I wait for an actual answer.

"We're okay, Jax. At least for now," my eleven-year-old brother says, and I can't help but think once again how fucked up this situation is. They shouldn't have to worry so much at such a young age. I only nod before I hug them again. Holding them in my arms makes me feel better because I know they are okay.

A part of me hopes Mom isn't just feeding them lies and excuses which they then tell me. Another part tells me she wouldn't do such a thing to her children. She wants what is best for them, and that is honestly. Mom really isn't horrible, she just lost her way, and seeks comfort in something she shouldn't be using as an escape. I start to feel worse and worse about the way I talked to her.

"Jaxon," I hear her scream from upstairs. "Could you take Lily to her tennis lesson? I have a meeting soon." I roll my eyes before I look back at my little sister. She's watching me closely, hoping I will take her. All of my guilty feelings vanish, and I'm furious Mother has the audacity to ask me, of all people, to take her child to play tennis because she has a meeting. As if I don't have work. I'm the CEO of my company, of course I have work.

I swallow down my anger, call William and tell him I will be two hours late. He isn't happy with me, but my sister's happiness is a lot more important to me than his. It always has been and it always will. When will he ever understand that? I know he has a child, and Lily sometimes feels like my own, so why can't he understand?

I drive Lily to the tennis courts and watch as her tiny feet run after the ball. Jace is waiting patiently next to me, reading one of the books I bought him a couple of weeks ago. It is the last book of the Percy Jackson series, which makes my jaw drop.

"You already finished the first six books," I ask him, and his attention drifts from his book to me.

"Yeah, they're really good. Lily likes them, too. I read to her at night so she can fall asleep. But don't worry, if I think some parts are too scary, I skip them," Jace assures me, and I raise both of my eyebrows. Guilt washes over me as I imagine Jace reading to Lily because their mother can't take the time to do so.

"I'm really proud of you," I tell him and place my hand on his shoulder, squeezing slightly. He gives me a small smile.

"Thanks." He goes back to reading, and I have to distract myself before I call Mother and let my frustration out on her. Instead, I focus on the happy, little girl, who is running around, trying her best to hit the ball. Lily has much more energy now than a few weeks ago, before she started playing. She is excited, happy, and frustrated all at the same time. She may not be very good yet, but she is one tough Hickley. Lily doesn't give up, throw her racket on the ground or quit. Without hesitation, she tries and tries to get it right. The level of maturity this little girl has never ceases to amaze me.

Jace and I sit in the burning sun for a little while longer. Sweat is dripping down my back, as the sun somehow gets hotter by the second. Blossom Beach has a way of doing so. I look around to see no parasols anywhere. Why isn't there a damn parasol? Luckily, Lily is done a few minutes later. I hand her coach money for the lesson, and the coach thanks me, smirking seductively at me. I cock an eyebrow, but move on without giving it a second thought.

"How about some ice cream?" I ask my siblings, and they nod eagerly. I didn't even need to ask. They can always eat ice cream.

After we eat our ice cream, I take them back home. Mother is also back, and I'm late for another meeting. I quickly say goodbye to Lily and Jace before I get into my car again and drive to my office.

I focus on the road ahead of me, while my thoughts drift off. For the first time in hours, I think about Hailey. I'm going to see her later today, which makes me feel good again. It gives me hope I can finally let out the breath I've been holding. As much as I love my siblings, they are still my responsibility. I'm responsible to keep them safe, take care of them, make them happy and so much more. Hailey is my friend, and although I want to make her happy, too, I know at the end of the day she is just my friend. She isn't my responsibility, not like my family. She is the person who relieves me of all of the pressures, struggles, and responsibilities of my world.

Hailey is a fantasy, work is reality. So, when I walk through my office doors, I concentrate completely on what lies ahead of me. Meetings piled up by more meetings.