Chapter 24

Jax

The feeling spreading through my entire body as I watch her fall asleep in my arms is both beautiful and unsettling. There is no other way to describe it because a part of me has never been happier and another doesn't trust happiness. Having sex with the woman I care for deeply and then watching her fall asleep in my arms is a completely new experience, but the smile spreading across my face betrays how I truly feel. Hailey sleeping next to me is one of the best feelings I've ever felt. I pull her closer to my chest, needing her as attached to me as possible. After what she told me about Jessica, it's a miracle I haven't tied us together. I want to keep her safe more than I've ever wanted to keep anyone safe. Except for my siblings. Keeping them safe has always been my top priority, and now, I'm going to add Hailey to the list.

The sound of Hailey's steady breathing soothes me. I'm about to fall asleep when my phone vibrates and creates a loud noise on my nightstand. I almost fall out of bed and pull down to keep from waking up Hailey, but I'm fast enough. She sits up and rubs her tired eyes.

"What happened?" she asks me while covering her naked body with the sheet again. I half-smile at her before sitting down on the bed.

"Someone called me. I'm sorry, I forgot to put it on mute." I shake my head out of frustration, and she lets out a little laugh. Her finger lifts to my bottom lip, and Hailey runs it along there, sending a thrill through my body. I love it when she does this.

Her eyes drift to the clock on my nightstand, making a frown spread over her full lips. "Who is calling you at four in the morning?" Her hair is curlier than usual, and I'm convinced it's from the shower she took earlier.

I stared down at my phone and read William's name. "My business partner," I reply and roll my eyes. Anger settles in my stomach, and I feel a desire to punch him in the face. The fact that he's calling me in the middle of the night makes me beyond mad. Yet, I'm also worried. Something might be very wrong, and I don't want to just ignore him. I look at Hailey, trying to decide whether or not I should call him back.

"If you want to call him, you should," Hailey tells me, and I smile at her. How she always seems to read my mind amazes me.

"Okay. You should go to sleep." She nods and a small yawn escapes her. When she looks at me again, I lean forward and press my lips against hers.

"Mhmmm, maybe you shouldn't call him back," she teases but then closes her eyes. As much as I want to repeat what we did only a couple of hours ago, she needs to get some sleep. I give her another kiss before stepping out of the room and dialing William's number.

"Jaxon," he says after he picks up.

"You better have a goddamn good reason to wake my girlfriend and me in the middle of the night." My anger controls my words.

"Girlfriend? Since when do you have a girlfriend?" He sounds disgusted, and I grow angrier.

"What do you want, William?" I growl. My patience runs lower with each passing moment.

"I wanted to tell you how disappointed I am. You should have never signed the deal without consulting me first." And with those words, I explode from anger.

"Are you fucking kidding? You call me in the middle of the night because you don't approve of the deal? You disturb me at four in the morning because you feel fucking left out? What the hell is the matter with you?" I'm yelling into the phone then. The bedroom door opens, and Hailey walks over to me.

"Jaxon, you better watch that foul mouth of yours," William warns into the phone. I can't even speak anymore. Hailey holds her hand out, offering to relieve me from this situation, and I place my phone in it.

"I apologize that you felt the need to disturb Jaxon in the middle of the night, but I am sure he will deal with whatever problem you are having in the morning. Please, do not call at an unreasonable hour again, he needs to sleep." Hailey hangs up and closes my mouth for me. I'm still speechless, but in a completely different way now. The way she just stood up to William and then hung up on him is beyond hot. She hands me my phone, takes my hand, and leads me back to bed.

"Your partner is an idiot," she mumbles once we're back on the bed, and I nod in agreement. I wrap my arms around her so we're spooning. I'm still beyond furious with William, which I will tell him tomorrow along with warning him to never disturb Hailey and me like that again. But, right now, all I want is to cuddle with my girlfriend. "Who the hell calls someone at four in the morning to complain about something?" She sounds pissed, and it's the best fucking thing.

"I don't know, love. But thank you for stopping me. I would have said every bad thing I have ever thought about him if I had continued." Any and every, no matter how terrible. All the years of dealing with the stress of the company and William's bullshit has bottled up, and I can't take it anymore. I know I have to control my emotions around William, I owe him everything, but he pushes my buttons.

"I had a feeling. I didn't want you to say anything you regretted," she admits, and I pull her closer while running my hands along her naked upper body. I feel the goosebumps spread over her body and smile. "Good night," she tells me, and I place a kiss on the top of her head.

"Good night, baby."