Chapter 54

Jax

I get up on stage and place the guitar in my lap. I reposition the microphone until I'm satisfied with its position. I'm nervous to perform in front of everyone we know: Ryder, who is standing in the corner and talking to one of the waitresses; Owen, who is entertaining Jace and Lily; Hunter, who is talking to Kalia; and finally Mom who is talking to the Masons.

I take a couple of deep breaths, knowing what I'm about to do is going to make Hailey very happy, my friends probably laugh, and Mother proud.

"I would like to dedicate this song to my beautiful wife. Hailey, you make me the happiest man in the universe." And then I start. I play the four chords I have been practicing for the past couple of months. Then I sing.

Could it be,

That all my dreams are real?

Could it be,

That she chose me?

Never knowing if it's all just a dream

If I'll wake up

And you'll be gone

You're too good to be true

My whole world is spinning

I feel like I'm winning

In every part of life

Because you're wife

You rush electricity through my body

When your hand brushes mine

You're the reason I feel like a King

A King under the rule of his Queen

I'd do anything for you

Fight the whole world

To keep you by my side

Forever

Could it be,

That I'm enough?

Could it be,

That you're the answer to all my questions?

Never knowing if it's all just a dream

If I'll wake up

And you'll be gone

Cuz you're just too good to be true

My whole world is spinning

I feel like I'm winning

In every part of life

Because you're wife

You rush electricity through my body

When your hand brushes mine

You're the reason I feel like a King

A King under the rule of his Queen

I'd do anything for you

Fight the whole world

To keep you by my side

Forever

I finish the song, slowly repeating those four chords. Hailey stands in front of me with the biggest smile on her face. I've achieved my goal. She flings her arms around me, and I press my lips against hers. We hear applauding in the back, but we don't care. This moment belongs to us.

"Thank you. That was incredible." Her smile warms everything inside of me.

She's mine. All mine. I'm married to this stunning woman, have a child I love more than my own life, and a family, who are dancing to the next song the band is playing. I don't know how I deserve them, but I have them anyway. Mom hands Jeremy to me, and I rock him in my arms to the music. He's sound asleep, sucking on his pacifier. Hailey is dancing with Ben, while they both have the biggest grins on their faces.

----------------------

By the time everyone leaves and the cleaning crew finishes, Hailey and I are exhausted. Jeremy started crying two hours ago, and he hasn't stopped. We changed him, fed him, but nothing seems to work. I walk downstairs, into the kitchen, and still hear him scream from the top of his lungs. I fill two glasses of water and go back upstairs. I stop halfway on the stairs when Jeremy stops crying. I tiptoe the rest of the way, making sure I won't wake him under any circumstance.

I can hear Hailey's soothing voice coming from Jeremy's room. "Don't cry, my love. Don't cry so much. Mommy and Daddy are right here with you. There is no one that can tell you how much we love you. So, sleep, my love. We'll be here when you wake up."

I lean against the door frame, watching my two favorite people. King is sleeping at Hailey's feet, and Jeremy seems to have fallen asleep as well. She puts Jeremy slowly into his crib and then takes the glass of water out of my hands. I wrap my arm around her waist, and we watch our little baby breathe in and out. I can't imagine a better way to spend our wedding night.