48

"You didn't need to eat with me." Thomas's eyes softened as the other two just glared at him a bit but he didn't mind it. He understood. Especially seeing as Virgil had his glamour down. Obviously Roman knew now which explained the awkward tension that wasn't there when they first arrived. "It might not mean much to you... but I do appreciate it."

"Can we just eat?" Roman snapped albeit quietly before cringing at his own tone. "I'd rather not deal with all this right now."

"Of course." Thomas simply smiled as the servents set their places gently in front of them. Roman's eyes narrowed at the food before he suddenly started to laugh making everyone stop short.

"Roman?"

"I've been at camp too long." Roman choked through his laughter before just gesturing at his plate that was filled with fruits, bread, and for him at least a small pheasant.

"What do you mean?" Virgil frowned as Roman poked the fruit with his fork only to laugh more as he let his fork fall to the table. "Roman, why are you laughing?"

"I was expecting pizza or something like that." Thomas's eyes shot wide as Roman's laughter turned to giggles. Virgil just choked on his own laughter as he tried not to fall into it like Roman had. "I actually wanted pizza." Roman stared at his plate a bit before finally calming down and going to eat. "So seeing this gourmet looking plate... I just wasn't expecting it."

"Pizza? Really though? Pizza?" Virgil choked again as he tried really hard not to laugh. "You're in a castle. You're a prince. Roman, why pizza?"

"Because the first and last time I ever had it was the night before you remembered everything and you haven't made me it again... I wanted pizza." Virgil shot him a look as Roman chuckled softly. "Ok no... It didn't have to be pizza. I just... I was expecting something you made because I'm so used to you cooking now."

"Maybe I'll make you something tomorrow."

"Grilled cheese!" Virgil rolled his eyes as Thomas just sat there completely horrified. Roman finally looked up at him only to freeze. "What?" Thomas's eyes darted between the two before clearing his throat. However, that didn't stop his voice from cracking bad when he spoke.

"Cheese?"

"Oh, right!" Virgil groaned as he held his head in annoyance. "My apologies, your highness. It's just so normal for us I had completely forgotten you weren't aware."

"That my son who is highly allergic to dairy and therefore cannot have it is somehow eating pizza and grilled cheese?" Thomas said with a slight whine clearly highly concerned only making Roman smirk slightly.

"I've also had cream cheese and custard. Banana creme pie too... Oh, and there was that chocolate lava cake you made... and the hot chocolate." Thomas paled horribly as Virgil slapped Roman's hand.

"I know you're angry, but at this point, you're going to give your father a heart attack. Thomas, you needn't worry." Thomas's eyes darted over to Virgil who smiled softly as he just shook his head. "I've taken to what is called a vegan and or vegetarian style with cooking. Everything I cook dispite the name is completely dairy-free so Roman can eat it."

"Oh." Thomas blinked a bit as he tried to swallow his worry. Virgil just nodded as he turned back to his food. "I'm sorry for worrying then. For a second there I thought... nevermind."

"Roman already scared me over his allergy." Roman flinched as he decided to stuff his face rather than upset Virgil more. Thomas frowned as he looked up to see the guilt in Roman as Virgil spoke. "After that I just... I went out of my way to make it so it doesn't happen again."

"I trust you." Thomas quickly said making Virgil frown in confusion. "Virgil... I know what you must think of me and in complete honestly, I do not fault you at all if you even hated me. I must stress however that... during these years I have noticed the fault in my actions."

"Your actions?" Roman hissed as he had to stop eating just to make sure he didn't actually choke on anything. "Your actions... You forced him into the changling program. You separated us after I begged you not to do anything. I thought at the very least you would accept the fact that he is the last of his kind as a good enough reason to not do anything if my relationship with his wasn't enough. The fact that he was my..." Roman clammed up as his eyes instantly went to the servants around them and he sighed before quieting down. "Well... You already know. Unfortunately father..." Roman's glare bore into the king as he just sat there with a sad smile. "It wasn't a recent decision. You took him away from me... me away from him."

"I hurt you." Roman's face fell as Thomas's smile only got sadder. "I hurt you both. I know. I figured it out the second he left. You were in so much pain and I didn't understand why until... Until you had cried out that you were planning on marrying him hoping that would make him stay."

"Then why didn't you stop him?" Thomas's eyes narrowed slightly as he glanced over at Virgil for a second temporarily ignoring Roman's question. "Father?!"

"Roman, stop." Roman jumped as Virgil took his hand in his. "I'm angry too but I told you... he did it BECAUSE he cared. I just haven't forgiven it all yet. I understand why though."

"Well, I don't." Roman grumbled as he squeezed Virgil's hand. "I don't understand. I don't know why he didn't. I don't know anything, Virgil. I didn't even understand the agony I was in until you explained it and now that only makes me angrier. Worst still he just said he realized it moments before you ever actually left. He could have stopped it. He could have kept you from leaving."

"Roman, I went of my own choice." Roman frowned as Virgil shook his head. "You know this. He didn't drag me into the circle. He simply talked me into it."

"Manipulation is still of a form of forcing..." Thomas sighed making Roman snap up to glare at him only to see the pain in his father's eyes.

"Roman, you had just lost your wings."