17

Roman sat there in Virgil's bed watching as the younger searched for his hoodie. He was concerned that was for sure. Well, he was concerned and highly pissed off. Virgil had bruises down his arms and nasty ones too.  If he had to guess, he'd probably say they didn't end at the shoulder. There was no way this happened from just getting bumped into a tree. Roman wanted to see just how bad it all was. He wanted to know what really happened but... he had promised a long while ago he would try to step back a bit. Roman was certain if he found out who it was that did it... He wouldn't have been able to hold his anger down.

Virgil was still searching and at this point, Roman was sure they would end up missing breakfast again. Lucky for them though Eliena had worked things over with whoever it was Virgil had to be with during the first half of the day should he need it. Right now though Roman really didn't care less about the hoodie. He just... He needed to... He... Roman's eyes flashed brightly like a sudden spark, his magic flashing around him at the need to protect Virgil. 

"Campion?" Virgil paused for a second glancing over to see the state the other was in and just freezing up. Roman didn't notice how bad he was. He didn't feel the surge of magic. He didn't sense how his energy fluctuated. He just knew he needed to know how bad his l-... Friend was hurt. "Can you please... show me your bruises?" Virgil's eyes went wide as he noticed how the pinkish red haze seemed to fade in and out around the other like a shroud coming in and out of focus. "Please?"

"Roman, I'm fine. I made you that promise, yes?" Roman's eyes darkened as he visibly tried to calm down. It clearly didn't work. "I don't want you getting upset, Ro."

"I... I need to... I... I can't help it, Virgil." Virgil sighed with a subtle nod as Roman hugged himself. "I need to see. I need to know how bad. Please?" Virgil didn't even think twice before pulling his shirt over his head and giving the other an almost tried smile. Roman's eyes went wide as he jumped up just in shock over how... small and well, frail Virgil looked. His eyes filled with tears as slowly made his way around till he was staring at Virgil's back, a painted mosaic of bruising down his left side, disapearing below the belt. "I don't think this only came from a tree, Virgil."

"I did." Virgil laughed at himself as Roman's fingers traced each bruise as lightly as he could. All he wanted to do was make it all better. He could. He could make it all better. He sighed as he forced himself to freeze up. His mind was screaming at him to just use his magic and heal the man. It was his job to keep his friend safe. He had to protect and care for him. He had to. 

"Virgil?" Virgil's eyes narrowed hearing the strain in Roman's voice from behind him. "If I were to... do something really really... weird... Would you hate me?" 

"Depends. How weird are we talking about?" Roman's eyes were trained on the many... many dark bruises as Virgil just smiled in thought. "No. Roman... I don't think I physically could hate you." Roman nodded as he once again ghostest his fingers over the bruising. "I'm ok, you know. I made you a promise that I was."

"I know. I can't help it though, Virgil. I have to help." 

"Well, we need to get moving soon Roman. And I still haven't found my..." Virgil froze up this sudden shiver down his spine as he felt Roman place a soft kiss to his bruise. "R-Ro?"

"Sorry." Roman smiled slightly as he watched the bruises start to fade. "I told you. I need to help." Roman pressed one last kiss to the smallers shoulder blade letting his magic branch out and take hold healing the bruises enough to not cause any pain. "A kiss to make it all better." He teased as if to play it all off. 

"W-Was that your weird thing?" Roman nodded as he walked over to the bed picking the shirt back up and handing it to Virgil who was a tad stunned.

"Do you hate me now?" Roman teased again but Virgil could hear the worry in the others voice. 

"I told you, Poppy. I don't think I physically can hate you. Just... next time you kiss me... warn me." Roman's eyes lit up suddenly as Virgil put his shirt back on completely oblivous to how his arm seemed to still be healing. It wasn't that fast though since Roman focused on the back. "I just wish I knew where my hoodie was."

"What's so important about the hoodie?" Virgil sighed as he shook his head. He knew Roman wasn't asking it to be mean or anything. The other was clearly confused and curious. Virgil knew for a fact that Roman would do anything to get it if it made him happy. He just didn't like that he didn't have it.

"It makes me feel safe." Roman's eyes narrowed as his fingers twitched, sending out a small burst of magic. Virgil hugged himself as he seemed to visibly deflate. "I know clothing isn't going to do anything but... Wearing it makes me feel like I'm protected. I've had it for so long... I don't even remember where I got it. I've had it since I was little boy."

"But it's so..."

"Big?" Virgil laughed as he nodded. "Yeah. It is. I had a dream once that my friend gave it to me. In it he said he made it gigantic so that when we cuddled it would swallow us both up into a world of our own... our own wonderland." Roman's eyes dulled slightly as Virgil just shrugged. "It was just a dream though. I didn't really have any friends before you. I don't know."

"Virgil..."

"We should get going Poppy." Virgil forced a fake smile as he pulled his boots on and laced them all up. "I still need to eat and we've got places to be. Maybe, I'll find it later." Roman just fell into silence as he followed Virgil through the door. His mind had latched onto what he had said. A wonderland... a place to call their own... Roman smiled sadly as he shook his head and forced those thoughts away. If he thought about his nightingale he'd only end up hurt. Just forget about it for now... there's no point in worrying Virgil more. Roman's eyes caught sight of Virgil who was hugging himself and clearly anxious. His fingers twitched as if wanting to play with the hoodie sleaves he didn't have. Roman's eyes flashed again as he focused around with his magic. If Virgil needed that hoodie... Then Roman was going to find that hoodie.

Roman's eyes shot wide as he suddenly turned to see these two hiding in a bus, making him choke back a growl. He quickly grabbed Virgil's arm stopping them both as he took a breath to try and calm himself down enough to not sound so angry.

"Why don't you go look one last time for your hoodie?"

"Roman we need  to..."

"They can wait. You're more important." Virgil laughed as Roman just smiled softly at him. "Go back and look. I'm sure you'll find it this time." 

"I'd say don't wait up but..."

"I'll be right here." Virgil rolled his eyes as he quickly ran back to the house. Roman growled as he shot a blast of magic at the pair watching as their bag suddenly vanished and Virgil's hoodie shimmering away. Roman's eyes narrowed as he had to stop himself from attacking them. They were just sitting there laughing as if taking a person's comfort item was a joke. It didn't take long For Virgil to come back out of the house happier than ever with his hoodie on. The two sat there with stunned expressions freaking out about their bag and how Virgil somehow had his hoodie back. Roman didn't care anymore. That smile on Virgil's face was all that mattered. "I see you found it."

"Yeah. It must have been all tangeled up in the blankets." Roman hummed as Virgil hugged him tightly. "Thank you, Roman."

"Let's go get you something to eat. I don't want you getting sick again."