42

"So... Virgil?" The smaller fae tensed up as he looked over to see this serious look in Roman's eyes. The two were slowly taking their time walking through the woods to the castle just happily content with each other's presence rather than worrying too much. It didn't really matter as no one knew they were even there yet. They could arrive at the castle at any time as long as Roman went there first. "Why did you say I didn't want to know about Aeiser?"

"Oh." Virgil stopped short making Roman frown at the pain in the younger's eyes. "I just... Trust me on this Poppy. It's not a good story." The way Roman's heart broke when he heard that was visible in his eyes and Virgil sighed sadly. "Roman..."

"What happened?" Virgil flinched as he stepped back but Roman didn't try to move with him knowing Virgil did that for space. He knew it was because he was angry so he knew not to push him. "Virgil."

"Roman, you know what usually happens? You've helped your father with returning changelings? Right?" Roman just nodded his fists clenched at his sides. "I'm sure even after I left you still helped... yes?" 

"Virgil."

"Ok." Virgil tensed up slightly as Roman's eyes narrowed. You could see the magic trying really hard to escape the older as he tried really hard not to snap. "Roman... What usually happens to cause a fairy to come back?" Roman's face fell completely as his magic swirled around him angrily. He whined subtly making Virgil sigh. "I didn't remember Fairyland. If I didn't remember... Then I wouldn't have known there was a place to return to... a place I could escape to and be safe."

"V-Virgil..." Virgil nodded only making Roman brake more. "No. No... No that..." Roman shook his head as he hugged himself to try and calm down. "I just... I thought..."

"Roman, I ran away." Roman frowned even more as Virgil hesitantly moved a step closer. "My 18th birthday... I ran away. Why do you think I was so far from home and alone with only a backpack filled with bread and honey butter?"

"What did they do to you?" Roman slowly reached out his hand, tears occasionally slipping down his cheeks, and Virgil smiled sadly as he let the other pull him in. Roman held him close yet loosely, not wanting Virgil to feel stifled or trapped, as he trailed his fingers through the other's hair. "What did they do?"

"You tell me." Roman stiffened as Virgil whispered softly not wanting to cry to add to the pain he knew Roman was already feeling. "What usually happens?"

"I don't... I don't want to say." Virgil nodded as he let Roman latch onto him a bit. "So, please? I need to know."

"The village wasn't kind, Roman. I was never allowed to use my magic in front of anyone. I wasn't allowed to be out at night and if I got caught my father would punish me for it. I was either ignored completely or avoided like the plague." Roman pulled away to see how Virgil's eyes were puffy and his heart broke all the more. "I was never allowed to eat any of the sweets so I had to make my own and NEVER when I could be caught. Food in general..."

"Please tell me you weren't..."

"For a human? No, I wasn't starved." Roman grimaced seeing how Virgil shrugged. "For a human... For a changling, I might as well have been. I wasn't allowed any more than what was given to me. Which was ONLY about as much as a boy my age needed to grow..."

"But that's not enough for a fae... You literally can't survive on just human food. That's not..." Virgil nodded as Roman crashed.

"I told you, you didn't want to know, Ro..."

"I need to know, Virgil. Please?" Virgil gently brushed back Roman's hair as the older quickly grabbed his hand with a desperate expression. "Please, tell me?"

"Most people just treated me as if I was a black spot. Every look was dark... Every murmur was an insult... No one liked having me there but they couldn't just get rid of me either. I was basically ignored unless someone needed something. And if I didn't help them the way they wanted, It only served to add to the rumors that I was a monster. My father..." Virgil visibly tensed making Roman really worried as Virgil's voice cracked a bit. "My father was the worst. He did everything in his power to suppress or control me. Mother refused to allow anything truly bad to me happen. She protected me and cared for me as if I were truly her son. I think now... I think she knew. When I started to have magic and... my white hair and all that. I think she knew I wasn't hers but she loved me all the same. She bitched out the doctor who even tried to say I was a changling. Just kept screaming that I was her son and nothing would change that but... My father..."

"Virgil, it's ok..."

"My father was adamant that if I was not leaving... I was to be controlled." Virgil met Roman's eyes with a serious yet dulled look and it took everything in the prince not to break down completely. "I didn't realize what was going on as I didn't remember who or what I was. I didn't know what he was doing but... When I turned 15, he gave me a necklace. He told me I had to wear it 24/7 and if he ever caught me without it there would be trouble. The necklace was made out of iron, Ro." Roman flinched as Virgil nodded. "It was pendant completely made out of iron... with a four-leaf clover pressed in the center."

"Oh no... My poor baby." Roman whined as he pressed little kisses to Virgil cheek and neck making the younger chuckle softly at his attempt to make him feel better. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

"I'm ok now. I'm here with you... Yes, I miss my mother dearly. Even if she wasn't the one that gave birth to me... She's the only one I've ever known and... She loved me." Roman pulled back just enough to look him in his eyes and Virgil just smiled. "She loved me. I know she did. She's the one that taught me all about fae and the world around me... even if she didn't tell me what changelings were. She cared for me when I was hurt. She was so kind and sweet. I was her son. I miss her but... I'm never going back." Roman's eyes darkened as Virgil looked away. "I can't. I left knowing full well that I would never see her again. Aeiser... That place probably celebrated when they all woke up to find me gone and you know what... I'm ok with that. I just wish I could tell my mother I love her just... one more time. That way she knows I didn't leave because of her."

"I'm sure she knows." Roman mumbled quietly as he pulled away completely and just stared back towards the fairy circle his thoughts in a complete mess. "We should go... quickly."

"Roman?" Roman tensed as he forced himself to look away and Virgil realized what was wrong. "Roman, see? I told you didn't want to know."

"I'm sorry." Roman groaned as he just gripped Virgil's hand tighter. It was taking everything in him not to go back to the human world and tear that village apart. "I just... I had to. I needed to know."

"Roman."

"No, Virgil. They hurt you. They... Fuck... I'm sorry." Virgil leaned into him as he gently tugged on Roman's shirt to make the other look down at him. "Virgil?"

"I'm ok, Roman. I'm happy. I'm here. I'm healthy... ish. I'm ok." Roman's eyes softened as Virgil started to walk over making Roman have to quickly follow so that he could remain holding him close. 

"I know. I'm just... I can't help it, Virgil. I'm angry." Roman forced himself to take a deep breath as Virgil looped his arm around his waist. "I'm just really angry that that could happen to you."

"There are other changelings who have had it worse..."

"Yes, but none of them were my mate." Virgil faltered a bit as Roman hugged him closer. "You are my mate, Virgil. I love you more than anything... And to find out you suffered like that without me to protect you... It hurts." Roman sighed as he shook his head and resigned himself to thinking about it later. This trip was about Virgil not him. He couldn't let his anger cause issues. He had to be there for his love. "Come on. We're almost out of the woods."