24

Virgil tensed up feeling that familiar burst of aura that always calmed him down so much. He couldn't help it. He found himself looking up to see the whole class in awe. His eyes trailed theirs until he found himself staring at his prince. Roman stood there hands in his pockets, his skin black like ash. His red hair now looked as if it could have been a fire against his skin. His green eyes popping against it all. He still had that bright smile as Virgil's eyes traced the markings that trailed from Roman's temple down to below his shirt's collar. You could feel the intense aura Roman gave off just with him standing there. The other students were in a weird mix of awe and intimidation but... Virgil was just... in love.

And that was when their eyes finally met.

Virgil's eyes widened with tears as he tensed up in fear. His silvery magic sparked all around him, as his form wavered and glitch, refusing to drop the glamour. Roman just stood there with this lost look in his eyes before Virgil quickly pulled his hood father down and adverted his gaze so Roman couldn't actually see him or his face. 

"Roman, since they are your's do you want to explain what your markings are?" Roman's eyes narrowed a bit not quite latching on to the fact that he was asked a question until Glinda touched his shoulder making him snap out of it. "Roman?"

"I'm sorry. I got lost in thought. What did you ask?"

"I asked if you wanted to explain your markings."

"Oh! Yeah, sure." Roman resumed his smiling as he stuffed his hands into his pockets and just chuckled. "I'm not any specific fairy like you all. As a Royal, I'm bound to everything and nothing. My magic is tied to the fairyland itself. However... just as you all do, every royal does in fact have an affinity to other things. An example would be my father. The king has an affinity toward light and sound. My brother Remus as an affinity towards the air and poison. I've always been closely bound to fire." Roman held his hand out summoning a small ball of flame that made everyone gasp in awe. It wasn't a normal flame... no, it was a literal ball... as if Roman was holding... "The sun." Roman smiled as he held his hand out more letting the small magic made star hover in the air. "My affinity is to fire and the sun. Although I will admit... Due to the sun being one... I also have a very close affinity to the stars as well." 

"My mark shows as much." Roman tilted his head slightly to show it better. "My mark is like fire and magma... ash with stars. It shows that I'm closely bound to them." Glinda smiled as she nodded along to what he was saying. "I had a friend when I was younger. He actually had his mark over his eyes." Roman's eyes lit up as he laughed softly. "Purple clouds and stars. A full night scenery just there on his face." Roman pointed up at the spot directing center of his eyes just above the brow line. "Complete with a crescent moon and everything."

"Yes, well, you're friend was a different fae was he not." Roman nodded still smiling as Glinda took over the lecture. "Different race of fae means different markings and affinities. Thank you so much for sharing Roman."

"Like I said it's no problem at all." Roman once again glanced over to Virgil who was hiding again and Roman smiled softly. "Do you mind if I stay the rest of class?" Roman let his glamour build again as he stuffed his hands into his pockets, his eyes never leaving the black balled up bundle of his friend.

"Go right ahead, Your highness. There's plenty of seats in the back if you wish." Virgil couldn't help but flinch hearing the teacher say that. He didn't have to look. He knew exactly where Roman was going to go. And sure enough, he felt as Roman sat beside him. He didn't want to look up and risk seeing Roman's expression. He didn't want to know if he was hurt or not. 

"Hey there, Campion." Virgil tensed, visibly shaking as Roman placed a supportive hand to his back. "It's ok. You don't have to hide, Love."

"A-Are you m-mad?" Virgil whispered quietly as he moved his head just enough to see Roman shaking his, without letting Roman get a good look of his face. "B-but I... I-I lied."

"How so?"

"I d-didn't tell you about b-being a fairy." Roman's eyes darkened as Virgil curled into himself. "I knew a-about you. Glinda t-told me. I knew who... w-what you were... P-Patton, Logan... R-Remus and Janus... but I didn't..."

"Virgil, I'm not mad. You just weren't ready to tell me. I understand." Virgil frowned as he finally looked over and met with Roman's soft gaze. "I'm not mad. I'm actually... really happy. It's obvious now. I... I literally saw the signs but I didn't draw any conclusions."

"What do you mean?"

"Virgil, you're a changling... aren't you?" Virgil flinched, forcing himself to look away again, as he nodded making Roman laugh to himself. "I should have realized it. I mean... your sugar issue."

"Changelings have an insatiable appetite. Their bodies just survive on human food... not at the servings a normal child can have. It doesn't give them the nutrition they need to function as a fairy." Virgil muttered the lessons and lectures he's heard countless times as Roman nodded.

"And because of that..." Roman added as he let his hand lace through Virgil's on his lap, to help him relax his grip some. "...their body ends up weaker. Without the nutrients from fairyland, they end up frail... easily broken."

"I'm sorry, Roman." Roman frowned as Virgil leaned against his shoulder. "I should have told you. I just... I don't remember anything from then. I don't remember fairyland. I just... I didn't want to worry you." Virgil could feel how Roman tensed up at his admission to amnesia. 

"Virgil, I am not mad. You know how much I love you. I..." Roman paused for a bit before sighing and leaning his head against Virgil's. "I was seriously considering leaving Fairyland to stay with you. Thinking you were human... the only options were risking mental death or entrapption for you or... becoming a changeling myself."

"Poppy..."

"I know. I know you wouldn't want that for me but... I love you, Virgil." Roman placed a kiss in the smaller's hair as he chuckled softly. "That was under the assumption that you were human though, Love. You aren't..."

"I'm still... disconnected from fairyland, Ro. I don't remember it... I can't access it. I can't even control my magic completely because of it. I can only do small things."

"That's ok, Virgil." Roman nuzzled into him as he let his aura branch around him melting at how Virgil sighed into him with content. Roman was fully aware that his aura made other scared and submit to him. He was a royal. His aura was meant to be imposing and commanding. But Virgil... Virgil seemed to love it... He loved him and wasn't afraid of him at all. "Now that I know... I can help you all the more." Roman hummed softly as Virgil breathed him in with a happy smile. "Even if you never remember... You'll always be connected to home... through me, ok?"

"I am so happy I have you. I love you, Poppy." Roman literally felt his magic surge as he felt his heart swell in him. He pressed one last kiss to Virgil's hair and he mumbled out a similar line making Virgil laugh at his dazed out attempt. "Thank you."

"I'd do anything for you, Virgil. You need only ask, my love."